PDA

View Full Version : External Frame Backpack

Roll Tide
11-26-2013, 18:06
Are many external frame backpacks used on the AT? I sweat excessively and at the end of the day my back and internal frame pack are soaked. So, is an external frame pack practical for the AT?

hikerboy57
11-26-2013, 18:08
Are many external frame backpacks used on the AT? I sweat excessively and at the end of the day my back and internal frame pack are soaked. So, is an external frame pack practical for the AT?plenty of people still use external frames, although there are a lot of internal frames that have great ventilation on the back, like osprey's air ride suspension

moytoy
11-26-2013, 18:19
I used one up until about two years ago and then I switched. No real reason I just wanted to know what all the hoopla was about. They both do a fine job. With the new external frame packs the weight difference is not as much as it used to be. I'm now carrying more gear to the summits so I'm using my external again:}

CrumbSnatcher
11-26-2013, 18:23
I'm a big time external frame pack fan! but go with what works good for you
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! even you internal frame hikers :-)

MDSection12
11-26-2013, 18:37
I carried an old Kelty external all through Boy Scouts, but as an adult switched to a Kelty internal. A few weeks ago I snagged a modern external from a pawn shop for next to nothing... I'm excited to test the external design with modern suspension. My guess is it will become my winter basecamp rig. :)

If it works for you, I wouldn't hesitate.

OCDave
11-26-2013, 19:27
I used a REI Wonderland external pack from 1989 until last year. It was just too noisy. Squeeking, rattling; every step a cacophony. I tried WD40 on the mesh, little effect. Perhaps it was just this product but, my hiking experience is much, much, much more pleasant since I switched to my ULA Catalyst. I can now hear when I hike.

I am not a thru hiker; just a backpacker with a lot of experience with an external frame pack.

Slo-go'en
11-26-2013, 23:17
It was just too noisy. Squeeking, rattling; every step a cacophony. .

Oh yea, I remember that squeeking and clanking. That is one of the negative features of a typical frame pack.

But no, there are not very many frame packs being used on the AT. Every so often you'll run into someone using "retro" gear just to be different. But what the heck, if you got it and it still works, why not?

max patch
11-26-2013, 23:35
I used a REI Wonderland external pack from 1989 until last year. It was just too noisy. Squeeking, rattling; every step a cacophony.

I remember trying that pack out in the REI store in 1989. It squeaked in the store. Every single one. Brand new. I really wanted to get that pack but the squeaking was too annoying for me. The external Camptrail that I wanted to replace didn't squeak.

Feral Bill
11-26-2013, 23:45
The Mountain Master that I bought around 1972 never squeeked and was very comfortable. My son still uses it.

RodentWhisperer
11-27-2013, 00:31
You're making me rue the day I sold my Kelty Trekker. It was dependable as all-get-out, never squeaked, and held everything. Ah, nostalgia...

Deacon
11-27-2013, 06:12
A couple years ago Zpacks came out with their Exo pack with a carbon external frame. It has since been replaced with the Arc Blast internal, but I love that Exo model.

The Exo weighs only 14 ounces but carries loads just like their bigger brothers.
There's been a lot of talk about the fragility of that carbon frame, but I used it on an LT thru hike last summer with no issues, and intend on using it on a 468 mile Springer to Damascus section hike this coming spring.

Ercoupe
11-27-2013, 07:06
Only issue for me was catching of brush by top of pack frame, similar to what you would experience with a pad lashed to the top of your pack.

Sailing_Faith
11-27-2013, 07:18
I have an external frame pack I used as a training pack, it was so loud I could not even talk on the phone while out walking! In fairness though, I did have it loaded with 40# of ballast at the time.....

WingedMonkey
11-27-2013, 07:49
it was so loud I could not even talk on the phone while out walking!

In that case everyone should be forced to carry one.

Sailing_Faith
11-27-2013, 07:54
In that case everyone should be forced to carry one.

Point taken, but FWIW please note the part where I say I used it as a "training pack".... Used walking around the neighborhood.
;)

WingedMonkey
11-27-2013, 08:00
Point taken, but FWIW please note the part where I say I used it as a "training pack".... Used walking around the neighborhood.
;)

Yes I did notice.

And maybe cell withdrawal should be a part of training.

:-?

WingedMonkey
11-27-2013, 08:04
FWIW my Gregory external has no pins and rings attachments so it makes no more noise than my internals.

The externals with the pins and rings will squeak and moan.

daddytwosticks
11-27-2013, 08:15
Try the Osprey packs, such as the Atmos or Exos models. I have an old (2005) Atmos 50 that I LOVE. I'm also a heavy sweater and love the lack of sweaty back. Osprey is re-designing the Exos models and should be coming out with some newer, lightweight versions after January. :)

k2basecamp
11-27-2013, 08:17
Alpenlite external frame. Still use mine - let your hips shoulder the load .

mrcoffeect
11-27-2013, 10:38
my 2007 kelty tioga 5000 is padded like a caddilac. I love that pack. I can even bring the kitchen sink when use that pack. The padding on my osprey talon 44 is spartan compared to my kelty but its half the weight.

dmax
11-27-2013, 10:42
I'll be heading out Sunday for a hike to Hot Springs sport'n my Jansport external.

Namtrag
11-27-2013, 11:43
my osprey squeaks and it's an internal frame...lol

Grampie
11-28-2013, 11:12
When I decided to thru-hike in 2001 I had a 1974 Kelty pack that I used. I didn't want to invest in another pack if I didn't have it in me for the long haul. My thought was that if I was able I would buy a new pack along the way. After much looking at new packs I decided, in Gatlinburg, to keep the old Kelty and upgrade it with a strap system from a newer Kelty. I finished the AT with this pack and still use it today. I have only had to replace one zipper on a side pocket. I got used to it. Most of the time I would carry a weight of around 30 lbs.

Carbo
11-28-2013, 21:40
I got my external frame pack when I was 28 and I still use it. All this time I thought all those squeaks were from my joints!