PDA

View Full Version : Doing without drops?

Nick P
11-26-2013, 18:38
Can I resupply with winter gear on my SOBO next fall without mail-drops? Are there affordable outfitters in Damascus or points south where I can get a heavier sleeping bag and down coat if needs be for the Smokies in November?
Thanks,
Nick

10-K
11-26-2013, 18:49
Sure, you could do that if you wanted.

hikerboy57
11-26-2013, 18:57
mt rogers outfitters in damascus is about as good as it gets.

Nick P
11-26-2013, 19:04
Sure, you could do that if you wanted.

LOL...a dumb question, I guess. I am reluctant to tie myself to mail drops, but also want to save money, so am trying to get a sense of the savings of getting reduced prices on gear in the Spring when compared to high-$ outfitters while on the hike. Also, I may get lucky and not need replacement gear, if, say, we don't see a repeat of Hurricane Sandy!
thanks

Nick P
11-26-2013, 19:05
mt rogers outfitters in damascus is about as good as it gets.
Thanks...will check them out now.

10-K
11-26-2013, 19:13
LOL...a dumb question, I guess. I am reluctant to tie myself to mail drops, but also want to save money, so am trying to get a sense of the savings of getting reduced prices on gear in the Spring when compared to high-$ outfitters while on the hike. Also, I may get lucky and not need replacement gear, if, say, we don't see a repeat of Hurricane Sandy!
thanks

Not a dumb question at all!

I probably wouldn't because I wouldn't want to be limited to whatever stock a store happened to have when I got there.

jeffmeh
11-27-2013, 18:32
If you figure out before you leave what gear you might want to switch over to, then you should be able to order online and have it shipped where you need it. I agree with 10-K, that this would give you much wider options than whatever a gear shop happened to have in stock.

Slo-go'en
11-28-2013, 02:10
The other problem is you won't know where and when you'll need some thing. While every town you come to will have a PO, not every town will have an outfitter. You'll be spending enough time in towns that going to the PO once in a while isn't going to be a big deal. Having some gear shipped to you when you need it is a lot different then using mail drops for mundane things like food which you can get pretty much anywhere.

You could use the local outfitter for little odds and ends you might need to pick up along the way, like a new hat or replace a lost glove, but for major gear you can do much better if you plan ahead.

Nick P
11-28-2013, 10:06
Understood, and I am starting to be persuaded, but a few points: I may be fine with the gear I have, as I tend to sleep hot. I rely on layers, have a decent solo tent, etc. I currently don't own winter gear, as I hike mostly in da dirty South. So I don't want to buy ahead of time unless I have too. I may need a warmer bag, as my old REI 40 is kinda clumpy, tho I do have a inflatable pad. A down coat is another possible purchase before the highlands.

A friend thru-hiked some years ago and mail-dropped shoes he had broken in prior, but I use light-weight cross-trainer type shoes, which don't need softening, it seems to me.

Thanks, everyone, for the thoughts.

Pedaling Fool
11-28-2013, 10:22
... I am reluctant to tie myself to mail drops, but also want to save money, so am trying to get a sense of the savings of getting reduced prices on gear in the Spring when compared to high-$ outfitters while on the hike. Also, I may get lucky and not need replacement gear, if, say, we don't see a repeat of Hurricane Sandy!
thanksSeems like mail drops would be less restrictive than attempting to time your hike in arriving at a town to take advantage of 'reduced savings'; also seem very bothersome to always be on the look out for sales at various outfitters along the trail.

Mail drops really don't take too much logistical planning.

10-K
11-28-2013, 11:05
Understood, and I am starting to be persuaded, but a few points: I may be fine with the gear I have, as I tend to sleep hot. I rely on layers, have a decent solo tent, etc. I currently don't own winter gear, as I hike mostly in da dirty South. So I don't want to buy ahead of time unless I have too. I may need a warmer bag, as my old REI 40 is kinda clumpy, tho I do have a inflatable pad. A down coat is another possible purchase before the highlands.

A friend thru-hiked some years ago and mail-dropped shoes he had broken in prior, but I use light-weight cross-trainer type shoes, which don't need softening, it seems to me.

Thanks, everyone, for the thoughts.

Like I said above, there's nothing "wrong" with what you're thinking about doing - just weigh the pros and cons and go with what makes the most sense for you.

I think at the very least I would do some recon on the various outfitters ahead of time to find out what they stock and make sure they stock your sizes and the equipment you might think you need.

Malto
11-28-2013, 12:17
One thing that you will learn as you progress on your thru hike is that you will adapt. There will be a multitude of things that come up unexpectedly and you will find ways of dealing with them. For example; you hike south and you spend a couple nights a bit colder than desired. Add a layer of clothing at the next town stop, order a new layer to be delivered at the next town stop, order a new bag, learn to use VBL, stuff leaves in a pack liner and supplement your pad etc. That is one of the coolest parts of the trip, just when you think a problem is a problem, a solution just appears. It works. Good luck.

Slo-go'en
11-28-2013, 14:04
I suppose there is no sense in buying winter/cold weather gear ahead of time. After all, the chances of you staying on the trail long enough to have a need for it are slim. But if you do, once it does get cold and nasty out and you need that gear, you'll probably just say the heck with it and go home rather then spend a bunch of money on gear which you may no longer have the money to buy that point.

Just playing devils advicate here - with a little bit of sarcasim ;)

BTW, when you've been hiking in the freezing rain all day and near hypothermic, everything is wet or damp from all the rain in the last week, your under nurished and tired, you no longer sleep "hot". You need gear which will give you a significant margin of error under those conditions. I don't think an old 40 degree bag is going to cut it - even in the beginning.

10-K
11-28-2013, 14:39
Just playing devils advicate here - with a little bit of sarcasim ;)

Just a little eh? :)