PDA

View Full Version : Runkeeper / what else?

dmax
11-26-2013, 22:26
I've noticed on Fb different people using run keeper to track their workouts.
Is this the best one to use?
Is their any others I should look into?
Do they have any that record good on trails also?

Spirit Walker
11-26-2013, 22:36
I use runningahead.com - they have good maps, but don't include trails, though you can trace some trails on satellite view.

Sailing_Faith
11-27-2013, 07:14
There is fitbit.com also, but two people I know have used it and been less then impressed.

urbansix
11-27-2013, 08:48
I have been using Runmeter app on Iphone for 2+ years. Have not compared it to similar apps, so can't say if it's better than others. It has a lot of features, including intervals, virtual race, walk, hike, run, cycle, etc. Uses cell reception for tracking, and eats batteries, so not great for backcountry hiking.

urbansix
11-27-2013, 08:51
Edit to add, I have not been able to find a satisfactory app for gym workouts - tried Fitocracy, several others. They are all a colossal PITA, so I switched back to notepad app or real pen/paper, or gave up on tracking.

wannahike
11-27-2013, 08:55
I started with runkeeper then they changed stuff so I tried endomondo for awhile, I went back to runkeeper when they changed again. I've used runkeeper in pretty heavy tree covered city park and it worked well, we thought it was a little more accurate than my friends garmin watch that day.

There is also map my run in which you can plot out your route and check mileage before you go, which is how I use it. I did a quick check and there seems to be some hiking routes in GSMP.

Pedaling Fool
11-27-2013, 08:56
I use runningahead.com - they have good maps, but don't include trails, though you can trace some trails on satellite view.
The only thing I track are my runs and I only use a Word document to keep records.

However, I also use the maps on runningahead.com; they are really nice when I'm sitting around at night thinking of different routes, because I don't have to jump on the bike and go map it out. It's also good for when I go home (Maryland) for visits and want to map a route before I get there, so I can go for a run anytime after my arrival.

robrod
11-27-2013, 09:20
for gym workouts i have been using skimble workout trainer. they have a free app and a pro app that you pay money for. ive used the free app for quite a while.

dmax
11-27-2013, 10:38
I never knew there was so many. Thanks for all of the ones to look at.

SouthMark
11-27-2013, 13:04
MapMyFitness does it all, cycling, running, walking, hiking, etc.

DandT40
11-27-2013, 13:29
I use runkeeper. I find that it is more accurate for long hiking trips then it is for short running trips around the city. The margin of error for shorter trips makes it almost useless, but for a long day if it's off .4 miles it's not such a big deal over 25 miles. But when you try and run 2 miles and it's off .5 miles its kind of pointless. It does work surprisingly well in the woods too. I thought that would be a big problem with it, but it does a good job even when covered by trees and off roads.

rsjrny
11-28-2013, 07:35
Edit to add, I have not been able to find a satisfactory app for gym workouts - tried Fitocracy, several others. They are all a colossal PITA, so I switched back to notepad app or real pen/paper, or gave up on tracking.

The best gum app is JeFit. easy to use as a pen and paper.

Wise Old Owl
11-28-2013, 10:00
There is fitbit.com also, but two people I know have used it and been less then impressed.

Thanks for looking into it. - I had thought about it.

gollwoods
11-28-2013, 13:40
nike is nice simple basic with map also