PDA

View Full Version : spices

squeezebox
11-27-2013, 05:25
so what spices do you bring with you ? How do you carry them? and how much? The local Chinese store has these large bottles of stuff like dried garlic & onions, and several curries, every spice you could think of,and a bunch you did not know about. curried grits sounds ok to me. maybe with dried apricots

Hikes in Rain
11-27-2013, 10:45
My little Lexan pepper grinder. It's reliable enough it does double duty in the home kitchen. I add other spices as needed to the freezer bag of food: garlic powder, dehydrated onions, whatever herbs go with the meal in question.

russb
11-27-2013, 11:18
Most of my meals are homemade dehydrated with all the herbs and spices already in them. I do however take some extra just in case they need a boost. Also for the fresh foods on the first couple of days. Which herbs and spices depends on my meal plan. I individually package them in the small zipper craft bags like these: http://www.amazon.com/1000-Zip-Baggies-Clear-Brand/dp/B001G7X3GO

fireemt
11-27-2013, 12:10
I will be doing a 214 AT thru hike. I will be carry black pepper in a old film canister, also some Frank's red hot

jimmyjam
11-27-2013, 17:36
I carry a small 4oz plastic bottle of olive oil, small plastic vile of salt, pepper, ms dash, and a repurposed eye dropper bottle of texas pete.

JAK
11-28-2013, 07:19
Spices - for Chai, Oatmeal, and Soup
Anise
Black Pepper
Cardamom
Cinnamon
Cloves
Ginger
Nutmeg
Pepper

Herbs for Soup
Parsley = great source of vitamin A, vitamin C, iron, calcium and mild enough to use alot
Paprika = also mild enough to use alot in soup of this as it is essentially dried sweet peppers
Herbs Provence = nice French mix
Herbs Italian = nice Italian mix
Dried Vegetable Mix = easy to buy in nice light container often found in herb, spice section
Dried Onions = also available but usually already in dried vegetable mix
Dried Lentils or Peas = not really a herb, this is what makes up the bulk of my soup

Salt = if not already in something else like jerky or skim milk powder (sodium that is)

Mac Solo
02-26-2014, 22:57
Take drinking straws and melt one end of the straw closed. Then you can fill with spice of choice. Bend the top end of the straw down to make a smooth kink in the straw (this will make it easier to seal) then melt the kink to seal in the favor. Might be a good way to save a few oz's

Sierra2015
02-27-2014, 00:50
Hmm, or go to Office Depot and buy tiny little envelopes. Or make small envelopes at home. It'll be like having sugar packets.

Wise Old Owl
02-27-2014, 01:41
absolutely won't do it... and I am a big spice fan. Enjoy the outdoors... UL all the way.

whisper walking
02-27-2014, 05:35
I dry most of my meals myself. I add the seasonings at home. That being said, I carry S&P, hot sauce, and little packets of parmesan cheese.

garbanz
02-27-2014, 10:10
Granulated garlic and onion plus chipolte powder in refillable 1 oz plastic shaker jars available from Spice Barn. Olive oil in the smallest plastic containers I can buy along the trail.

FarmerChef
02-27-2014, 11:39
As a bunch of others have said, I prepare my meals at home in advance. When I resupply, I'm usually buying lipton sides or similar which typically already have the flavoring added. However, they don't include a protein so I always ship ahead extra dried chicken, beef, pork so I can mix it in. But it needs flavor so I also include the appropriate bouillon. Other than salt and pepper that's about it for me on spices.

cliffdiver
02-27-2014, 11:51
Chicken or beef bouillon cubes- helps flavor mashed potatoes, Small bottle of Texas Pete. Small bottle of olive oil.

Just Bill
02-27-2014, 13:04
As a scout I had a first aid kit converted to a camp kitchen that had more spices than many kitchens. Agree with all who make at home- seasonings aren't needed.
That said-
Garlic Salt and a hot thing (i like chipotle flakes) fix alot of stuff for little weight. I also occasionally bring Oregeno to punch up soups as I often water them down to make a bigger meal.

I use the ziplock pill bags from the drug store. The garlic salt can be a few ounces for a full one, but the pepper flakes and oregeno are only a 1/4 ounce or so each and take little space.

Starchild
02-27-2014, 14:20
The AT has taught me the value of spices that have drove world history. Food = morale plane and simple, so the addition of a complementary spice is heaven on earth. even simple things like a pack of mustard. mayo, relish can mean a great deal on the trail. IMHO ketchup serves no purpose what so ever here except for those who bear the trail name.

One time I did have a garlic power 'spill' I don't recomend it as it was almost sickening to sleep by.

Hill Ape
02-27-2014, 14:29
a thru hike is going to have different parameters, but on a weekend/week hike i carry all sorts of stuffs. i get into cooking incredible meals on short hikes. bottled beer is high on the list. for spices i carry one of those huge coghlans spice kits. for longer hikes i just grab a handful of salt and pepper at mcdonalds like entitled trash. and always have a tiny bottle of tabasco, it goes well on everything, except your fingertips right before you scratch off down there.

squeezebox
02-27-2014, 22:21
I'm leaning towards ground or flaked cayene, rather liquid hot sauce in glass bottles.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
02-27-2014, 23:22
I've heard of using repurposed tic-tac containers for spices on the trail.

mudsocks
02-28-2014, 14:23
Drinking straws for sriracha, olive oil, and pepper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiB9kUPRXZ4

Skip ahead to 0:50.

TurboPants
03-06-2014, 11:50
That was awesome, thanks for posting! I probably won't carry many spices but the possibilities of using straws for storage is very cool!

Dogwood
03-06-2014, 12:11
John at Intense Angler Outdoors provides at least 40 Tip of the Week youtube episodes like Octothorpesarus posted that are very applicable to hiking. I got a lot out of many of the episodes. Hikers might want to check them out.