PDA

View Full Version : Seneca Rocks, WV

No Directions
11-27-2013, 15:40
Can anyone tell me if Seneca Rocks is open in the winter. I have been to the website and I know the Discovery Center is closed but I don't see anything about the trail. I will be passing close by next month and I don't want to miss the opportunity to hike this trail.

3_dogs
11-27-2013, 22:01
Should be. I never seen anything about closing the trail. I doubt they could close it. The road to the Discovery Center continues on to a farm, so it can't be closed. They parking lots may be closed, but there's other places to park.

It will be slick in the winter. When they rebuilt the trail a couple of years ago they put in some metal steps. They will be slick. The trail is not blazed. In the summer it is obvious, but I've never hiked it in winter. Also expect to do some post-holing up the mountain.

There's no cell service up there because of Greenbank and Sugar Grove, so if something goes wrong you're on your own.

If you do go please post a photo from the observation deck. I bet the North Fork Valley covered in snow will be beautiful.

No Directions
11-28-2013, 10:40
Thanks for the info. I will take my GPS watch just in case. I won't hike if the trail is icy. I have done that before and it isn't pleasant.

The Solemates
11-28-2013, 14:59
we were up there a few years ago. everything was open, but there was 14 inches of snow on the ground. the area where we were is not regularly plowed by the state. hope you have four wheel drive.

No Directions
11-28-2013, 15:27
I have a Jeep. I have been wanting to hike this trail for a long time and since I will be driving pretty close to it on business I can't pass up the opportunity.

Odd Man Out
11-28-2013, 21:23
Can't add anything, but I remember going up to Seneca Rock on a boy scout outing back in the 1970's. The whole are was just fantastic. Maybe the best trip our troop ever took. Have fun!