PDA

View Full Version : Winter baselayer

ksquared
11-27-2013, 22:19
I'm looking at baselayers for my thru and I'm clueless. I'm leaning towards wool over silk and synthetics, but I really don't know what I'm looking for beyond that. I am a generally cold person though, constantly freezing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to freeze.

Teacher & Snacktime
11-27-2013, 22:26
Head over to the Another Cold Weather Question thread.....you should get some info there

SCRUB HIKER
11-28-2013, 01:29
Tell the world when you're starting and what else you've got for warm layers; that would make a difference in people's answers.

The Cleaner
11-28-2013, 09:32
LS Merino wool for cold weather, SS tee for warmer months. I've met hikers with several layers of synthetic junk and still cold. Wool will keep you warm even when wet with sweat till it dries while you wear it....

russb
11-28-2013, 11:26
I love my wool baselayers. I have also gone back to my old woolen top layers the last few years. My wool pants and pendleton shirts are great at shedding light rain (very light) and are fire resistant.

johnnybgood
11-28-2013, 20:30
Since Patagonia is more than I want to spend , I look at cheaper smartwool baselayers from Wal-Mart
Look also for good deals at numerous online outfitters , especially on older last years selections.

For wintertime hiking I care more about warmth than weight and carry several base layer options.

One good thing about wool, other than obviously being warmer than synthetics is the fact that it doesn't retain stink. You do however need to be cognizant of wool shrinking after washing. Use the cold - gentle cycle and low heat to dry.

Polyester tees by Starter from Target is around $25 and well worth the value. Every holiday season I receive a gift card for Target , and every year I get the synthetic top.

ULterEgo
11-29-2013, 12:56
Keep hearing great things about merino wool (Icebreakers and/or Smartwool items; Darn Tough socks). On my Christmas list.

WILLIAM HAYES
11-29-2013, 19:31
ibex lS midweight wool zip and pants sleeping clothes SS ibex wool shirt when hiking if its cold i wear it under a patagonia houdini windshirt usually just hike in shorts in the winter if its windy and cold I may put on my rain pants