PDA

View Full Version : To save $$$$ fr your long hike(s), how desperate how you gotten?

Different Socks
11-27-2013, 22:43
To what lengths have you gone to save money for your hikes?

examples from me, and please don't judge me:

--Go to soup kitchen to get a free lunch and extras to take home such as milk, boxed dinners, veggies and fruits to dehydrate.
--Restaurant I work at, if they throw anything away that can't be served or cooked to be served, i ask if I can see it and/or I can use it. I get shrooms and packs of berries this way, lunch meats, breads, other fruits and veggies I can dry for future hikes, etc.
--Catch rides with friends to alot of places so less money I send on gas for my car, or I ride my bike.
--Haven't bought new clothing except socks/undies in months. Get my shirts/pants/shorts at salvation Army or Goodwill.
--Haven't bought new pair of shoes in 5 years(but I will need new hiking shoes for the next 2 summers b/c the treads are completely coming off the 5 year old current pair).
--Shop at Sierra Trading Post for gear and any where else that has quality gear and great discounts.
--Don't have a cell phone, cable for years and keep electric down by wearing more layers around the apt.
--Despite the fact my fridge/freezer is full, I never turn down offers for food.
--Low priced gear items i ask for X-mas presents.
--Ask others for any left over packets of condiments they have lying around.
--Selling everything on ebay I don't need for my next big hike and don't want to put into storage.
--Can't recall the last time I spent $$$ on alcohol. I'd rather put it in my tank to get me somewhere else so I can be "high" on a mtn.

Probably many other ways as well that I can't think of right now.

So to what lengths do all of you go? Any dumpster divers?

Dogwood
11-28-2013, 02:08
My same UL live simply question consumption frugal go with the flow hiking style is my lifestyle; My lifestyle is my hiking style. I've taken down the barriers between work and life and play. They overlap greatly. I have CHOSEN to live my passions. That includes my work which is really little in difference than my life. The two things I've done effectively to save a lot of money is throw away my TVs and not require a personal automobile all the time. How to Instantly Add 8.2 Years and $133,369 to Your Life (http://advancedriskology.com/how-to-add-8-years-and-133369-to-your-life/). Now, I really need to cut down on the keyboard time. I've been in the Lower 48 without a full time personal automobile for almost 18 months now. By my calculations I've saved more than $12,000.00 in those months doing that. I haven't reached Extreme Cheapskates status yet though.

Chair-man
11-28-2013, 02:54

I'm working on putting a team together to support me that way I can be a total bum. This actually works for some people. I've seen it. Anyone wishing to be foolish enough to join my team and support me just PM me.

JAK
11-28-2013, 04:46
Frugality is a virtue. I salute you.

JAK
11-28-2013, 04:50
Also remember the 4th R.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, and to simply Refuse to buy stuff you don't really need or want and can do without.

The 4th R can be very empowering, and scares the heck out of a lot of people. Go for it.

JAK
11-28-2013, 05:06
I just came across a 5th R... ROT

http://zerowastehome.blogspot.ca/p/tips.html

One could argue that REFUSE is covered by REDUCE, but I think it deserves consideration because it does make you think, to avoid the fundamentally un-necessary, or harmful.
One could also argue that ROT is covered by RECYCLE, bur again I think it deserves consideration because it implies natural processes, requiring less energy to complete the cycle.

So REFUSE, REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, ROT.

An interesting example of ROT, using untreated wood for things like raised bed gardens, so you can compost it in the end rather than paying to haul it to a landfill

garlic08
11-28-2013, 09:40
This is a great question. Thru hiking taught me a lot about frugal living, while frugal living allowed me to go on thru hikes. It's been a cycle of sorts for me.

I've cut my own hair, and my wife's (and even my dog's--she's a poodle mix) for over 25 years now (not the dog--they don't live that long). I figure that's about $10,000 saved.

I bicycle or walk nearly everywhere. I commuted by bike to my engineering school and career for 20 years. It would be hard to calculate the cost savings, but I bet it was serious five figures.

I barter with neighbors for trash and internet service. I run a repair and remodel service part-time so it's easy to trade something of value to avoid a monthly bill.

I use MagicJack for phone, for a whopping $30/year, and no cell phone (one of the greatest pleasures of my simple life is getting away from the phone).

Entertainment is simple and fun--we've found a group of friends who get together a few times a week for Game Night, Soup Night, Hiking Day, etc. Nothing electronic, very little travel, and no cash outlay--just enjoying each others' company.

I scrounge free firewood, and often do a lot of work to get it to the fireplace.

I don't purchase stuff in a single-serving container, including beer or wine. If I drink beer, and I do enjoy it, it's from a reusable keg. I make my own bread, buy bulk beans, rice, veggies, oats, nuts, etc. Besides conforming with the four or five Rs, it's cheaper.

Vacations are pretty inexpensive and are worth a lifetime of memories. My AT hike cost $3500. I bicycled 4500 miles across the US last summer for $1500. Thru hikers can understand that, most others can't.

When we first got married, in the last millennium, my wife and I tracked our expenses for over a year. Every night we wrote in a ledger what we spent that day (this was before computer spreadsheets!). That was a valuable lesson we've never forgotten.

Different Socks
11-28-2013, 11:32
Also remember the 4th R.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, and to simply Refuse to buy stuff you don't really need or want and can do without.

The 4th R can be very empowering, and scares the heck out of a lot of people. Go for it.

I AGREE!! Too many people around me ask or say things like, "why do you do that", or "if you have that much food already, why take more?" or "if you have a car why not use it instead of biking all over town?".
Then they find out how much I have saved and it shuts them up....for awhile.
Simply put: when you have a dream sometimes all else is trivial unless it gets you to the dream.

Different Socks
11-28-2013, 11:37
Garlic,

how is that magicjack working for you? How is the connection and sound on the phone? I am HOH so the sound quality would need to be good.

Night Train
11-28-2013, 11:43
Last year I made an honest effort to purge all the unnecessaries from my household. Ebay was the perfect answer for selling all of that stuff, the profit made, financed everything from clothing to gear to any ancillary costs for my section hike. I now hold and embrace a minimalist attitude that serves me well. All of this is a direct result of my passion for the trail. Wish I wasn't so late to the party. Btw, great thread topic!

10-K
11-28-2013, 11:48
I worked my butt off for many years, paid cash for everything I own, avoided debt like the plague, and our family didn't increase our standard of living as our income rose.

Many (most) of my friends thought I wasn't enjoying life or whatever. Of course, now I'm 52 and pretty much retired and it looks like they'll be working for a long, long time and getting that 2-4 weeks of vacation a year so I'm very happy with the risks I took.

If I could give one piece of advice to someone it would would be: "Save first."

Edited to add: Save first *if* you've got a handle on debt. :)

fiddlehead
11-28-2013, 12:02
Always buy vehicles from car auctions. (I've never spent more than $3,000 for a vehicle) (and that one, I put 200,000+ miles on)
I also never buy new clothing (I own an underwear company so, get free samples when needed)
I never buy drugs (legal ones). I have a bottle of aspirin that I paid $1 for at Dollar General about 6 years ago though. (that's the only drug I ever take)
(Have an apple tree and try my best to eat one a day instead)
Shop online when I do buy something.

Kids and wives however can be a problem.
My wife likes her beer and she can't stand the cheap stuff. (says Coor's lite is the same as water)
My son wants everything. I need to take him on a thru-hike to get his mind right.

But, life is good.
I just live a bit below my means and always seem to have more than enough.

I feel sorry for the ones that feel the need to keep up with the latest BS.

Storm
11-28-2013, 12:07
I took a part time job for the winter to help boost my hiking fund. How desperate can one get.

garlic08
11-28-2013, 13:40
Garlic,

how is that magicjack working for you? How is the connection and sound on the phone? I am HOH so the sound quality would need to be good.

If your internet service is reliable, go for it. Voice quality is fine. Faxes don't work without a lot of fiddling with port settings. There's a new version that connects directly to a router that works great. My old version has to go through a computer and that slows it down a little, depending on the computer. You may have to pay extra to get 911. I've been using it for five years. Customer service is fine.

johnnybgood
11-28-2013, 14:41
I'm already bought in to this frugality concept and do pretty well on my own account. I do wonder though how successful I could be if I weren't married .
This is where my ideas clash with family members whom have become addicted to the social norms of our society. My insistence on remaining simplistic has never been a popular crede. I drive a 17 year old car that was paid off a long time ago. I cut my own hair, have stockpiled razors and toothpaste and never buy new clothes anymore.
I recently broke a 5 year abstinence from going to the theatre to see a movie. I do however need to seriously curtail my desire for Starbucks or Wawa store bought coffee. Next on my laundry list is rid myself of this smartphone from which this post is being sent and buy out the remaining service contract of another year.
It was accepted, but not desired as holiday gift you see.

Dogwood
11-28-2013, 14:51
"Also remember the 4th R.....
Refuse to buy stuff you don't really need or want and can do without.

The 4th R can be very empowering, and scares the heck out of a lot of people. Go for it."

...it deserves consideration because it does make you think, to avoid the fundamentally un-necessary, or harmful.
One could also argue that requiring less energy to complete the cycle.
ABSOLUTELY! You want to see people, organizations, and entrenched power structures feel threatened/get scared/concerned, INDEED be a CRITICAL THINKER, QUESTION THE COMMON ANSWERS, and go against the status-quo! Expect opposition. Try riding a bike or walking to work in some areas and see what happens. Try being more frugal questioning consumption and see what happens. See what happens IF you dare live TOO FAR off the grid. It's anti-American! By SOME, you'll be labeled as a bum, not productive enough, as an "activist", and as "a threat."

max patch
11-28-2013, 14:56
--Go to soup kitchen to get a free lunch and extras to take home such as milk, boxed dinners, veggies and fruits to dehydrate.

Its one thing to be frugal. Its another to take food that is meant for the homeless. I'm sorry, but this just isn't right.

BuckeyeBill
11-28-2013, 18:05
Its one thing to be frugal. Its another to take food that is meant for the homeless. I'm sorry, but this just isn't right.

+1 max patch thanks for saying what I saying what I was thinking.

Valley Girl
11-28-2013, 21:35
No video games, disconnected cable, I don't go out, I buy second hand clothing and I do not go grocery shopping till I have eaten most everything from the last shopping trip. I also stayed home for Thanksgiving.
I must get to the trail soon before I start adopting stay cats!

FooFighter'12
11-28-2013, 22:09
I must get to the trail soon before I start adopting stay cats!
Ha! Thanks for the laugh! And Happy Thanksgiving!

cliffordbarnabus
11-28-2013, 22:30
dumpster diving. once you start, if you ~ever~ buy an apple, loaf of bread, broccoli, or a box of cereal, you will feel like a fool.

JAK
11-29-2013, 07:11
dumpster diving - the crack cocaine of frugality

perrymk
11-29-2013, 07:50
I have the book "The Cheapskate Next Door" by Jeff Yeager. It sounds like many of you would aspire to his lifestyle. I'm not calling it right or wrong, although some of it amounts to vagrancy. However, it isn't for me. That doesn't mean I am automatically at the other end of the spending spectrum. I do live what many (probably not those posting here) would consider a frugal lifestyle. However, I have no desire to be a minimalist. I like owning a modest house on 2 acres with a stream in the backyard (I got a good deal an it's paid for already). I like my personal workshop and home gym. I like occasional travel, foreign and domestic. I like that I am able to occasionally help others (it takes money to do this).

I guess we all have to decide for ourselves where our priorities lie, and where frugal becomes freeloading or even criminal.

peakbagger
11-29-2013, 08:31
I am all for the frugality thing but some folks confuse frugality with deferring expenditures or letting society subsidize them. I know of folks who decide to skip the dentist until they are in pain and then end up having to have serious dental work then they make the rounds looking for assistance to have their teeth pulled. I know of other folks who skip health insurance and then freeload at the local hospital when they get sick. Others who run without car insurance and then get in an accident that does damage or injury to others and then don't pay up. Basically I draw the line when a person chosen lifestyle requires the rest of society to subsidize them.

Hairbear
11-29-2013, 12:59
Alot of my home came from power company right of way waste.
Some from dumpsters,some bought.
It is a conservative guess that each tree crew wastes 12 houses a year.

Different Socks
11-29-2013, 14:23
I go to the soup kitchen b/c it enables me to put more money towards the pile of med bills from my accident while also allowing me to save alittle each month for my next hike.

perdidochas
11-29-2013, 15:01

examples from me, and please don't judge me:

--Restaurant I work at, if they throw anything away that can't be served or cooked to be served, i ask if I can see it and/or I can use it. I get shrooms and packs of berries this way, lunch meats, breads, other fruits and veggies I can dry for future hikes, etc.
--Catch rides with friends to alot of places so less money I send on gas for my car, or I ride my bike.
--Haven't bought new clothing except socks/undies in months. Get my shirts/pants/shorts at salvation Army or Goodwill.
--Haven't bought new pair of shoes in 5 years(but I will need new hiking shoes for the next 2 summers b/c the treads are completely coming off the 5 year old current pair).
--Shop at Sierra Trading Post for gear and any where else that has quality gear and great discounts.
--Don't have a cell phone, cable for years and keep electric down by wearing more layers around the apt.
--Despite the fact my fridge/freezer is full, I never turn down offers for food.
--Low priced gear items i ask for X-mas presents.
--Ask others for any left over packets of condiments they have lying around.
--Selling everything on ebay I don't need for my next big hike and don't want to put into storage.
--Can't recall the last time I spent $$$ on alcohol. I'd rather put it in my tank to get me somewhere else so I can be "high" on a mtn.

Probably many other ways as well that I can't think of right now.

So to what lengths do all of you go? Any dumpster divers?

I don't have any problem with any of those except the soup kitchen. That's just terrible.

kayak karl
11-29-2013, 15:29
I don't have any problem with any of those except the soup kitchen. That's just terrible.
it's not terrible if he works there or helps out. we send the helpers home with the extras because the homeless don't have a place to store cooked food (bread and canned they take.)
,but if you do not help out, start. otherwise i'd say, stay out.

Different Socks
11-29-2013, 15:31
it's not terrible if he works there or helps out. we send the helpers home with the extras because the homeless don't have a place to store cooked food (bread and canned they take.)

The kitchen is open 6 days a week. I go about 3-4 times each week(not today) and yes, I do stay after closing and help them out with cleaning and preparing for the next day. I do that at least twice each week.

Different Socks
11-29-2013, 15:33

Ad thanks KK for giving me the benefit of the doubt.

max patch
11-29-2013, 15:39
The kitchen is open 6 days a week. I go about 3-4 times each week(not today) and yes, I do stay after closing and help them out with cleaning and preparing for the next day. I do that at least twice each week.

Well then you are earning your meal. Perhaps you should have said that in the first place.

perrymk
11-29-2013, 19:44
Radical Frugality: Living in America on $8,000 a Year
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006GG0U0C/ref=s9_simh_gw_p351_d0_i6?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=00NA4KYSQ81BR6W2WG8G&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1630072182&pf_rd_i=507846

Download free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on all your devices. The Kindle app is available for every major smartphone, tablet, and computer.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=sv_kstore_1?ie=UTF8&docId=1000493771

Disclaimer
I have no connection with this or any of the books or authors I post links to, nor do I have a financial interest in Amazon.com. I simply find free books that I think/hope might have some connection to backpacking and post the links. I have no control over what books are available. I do not have time to read/review every book I post. Not everyone will enjoy every book.

Mother Natures Son
11-29-2013, 20:14
A friend shocked me the other day on a "new way" to save up for a Thru-Hike, medical test person! He said the local hospital will pay him $1,500-3K to be a guinea pig for some medical test or drug. I told him he's nuts! He told me that is a fast easy way to make money for the trip. Anyone tried this way?

cliffordbarnabus
11-29-2013, 22:49
I like my personal workshop and home gym. I like occasional travel, foreign and domestic. I like that I am able to occasionally help others (it takes money to do this).

I guess we all have to decide for ourselves where our priorities lie, and where frugal becomes freeloading or even criminal.

why does it take money to help others?

Sly
11-30-2013, 07:45
I sold plasma every time I could over six months to help fund my 1st hike. It was over 15 years ago and you can still see where they put the needle.

rocketsocks
11-30-2013, 07:51
I sold plasma every time I could over six months to help fund my 1st hike. It was over 15 years ago and you can still see where they put the needle.
Righteous bucks!

Sly
11-30-2013, 08:06
Righteous bucks!

Worked out to be almost $500 which at the time went towards a Dana Design Terraplane, wet rib and pack cover. Today I could buy a decent pack, tent (or tarp) and sleeping bag that weighs a couple pounds less than that pack alone.

Different Socks
11-30-2013, 10:29
I would donate plasma also but the nearest town to do it is too far away. Perhaps I can start doing it again next summer. When I did it in another state, it was an extra $200 in my pocket every month, yet here it would be an extra $250/month.

fiddlehead
11-30-2013, 11:00
A friend shocked me the other day on a "new way" to save up for a Thru-Hike, medical test person! He said the local hospital will pay him $1,500-3K to be a guinea pig for some medical test or drug. I told him he's nuts! He told me that is a fast easy way to make money for the trip. Anyone tried this way?

Hiked the PCT with a guy who did this to fund his hike.
He made towards the higher end of your estimate. (which back in the 90's was enough to do the whole trail)

The Solemates
11-30-2013, 12:13
we dont really do it to fund our hiking lifestyle, but just to fund our lifestyle in general. we have a lot of luxuries that most people dont have. we have those luxuries because we spend money on what is important to us, and not what society says is important. for instance:

- keep our thermostat around 58 in the winter. for us in TN with a very well insulated house, it usually runs only in the morning for less than an hour. we have a south facing house with huge windows. our house heats up nicely with the sun during the day. we supplement with wood heat when the sun goes down.

- i never pay for firewood. i always find it for free on the side of the road, craigslist, etc. this is extra time on my part, but you know what they say...it heats you twice!

- i do my own chimney sweeping. a kit online was $130. people in my area pay $100 annually to have this done.

- we do not buy clothes. i honestly cant remember the last time we bought more than a $5 pair of shoes for the kids or something similar. my wife makes a lot of clothes for our 3 kids. we also get lots and lots of hand-me-downs. between all the cousins and all the older kids at our church, we usually have more clothes than we know what to do with. we give a lot away. my wife gets hand-me-downs from 2 or 3 other girls who are in the mindset they cant wear something more than a season or two. thats nice to have a wife who appreciates this. i get hand-me-downs as well. we ask for underwear and socks, etc as christmas gifts.

- we dont get rid of clothes just because they are worn out. all of my work clothes are work clothes because they have holes in them. buying work clothes is stupidity. use worn out ones - then when they get too bad to wear, turn them into rags.

- why buy expensive cleaners? water and soap usually do just as good a job.

- i havent spent money on soap, lotion, or shampoo since 2007. i travel at least once a month for work. i am paying for the hotel shampoo and soap with my room rate anyways - so i stock up. each night they replenish. each day i stock up. people that steal the towels, however, are just wrong. to each their own.

- until recently, we did not have internet. we used it at work if we wanted. we've added this expense just recently.

- we do not have smart phones. our family plan of flip phones costs us $69 per month, including taxes. i know some people who spend more than $200 on family phone plans.

- we do not have a house phone. no need for one.

- we do not have cable. excluding movies, we turn the TV on maybe 25 times a year. this is usually for sports. i havent watched mainstream TV since 2010. the movies we watch are from netflix, but we dont pay for a subscription. you can have up to 5 TVs on an account. the contract doesnt say it has to be from the same household. my single brother-in-law lets us be on his account for free.

- we spend a lot on gas because we live far out of our metro area and commute in to work. however, we buy gas-saving cars with cash. my vibe that gets 30 mpg has over 200,000 miles on it. i bought it used with 16,000 miles. we never buy new cars, and we always pay cash for cars. i also own a large truck that is a necessity for my lifestyle. paid cash for it, used. it may sound counter-intuitive, but owning 3 cars between my wife and I has saved us a lot of money. most people with our country lifestyle drive their 4x4 everywhere.

- we get discounted gas. with our family of 5 with 3 growing kids, our grocery bill is a large expense. we put that money to work by using our kroger points to save on gas. we always get at least a 10 cent per gallon discount. we plan our gas stops to make sure we fill up at kroger. this sometimes means filling up when its not empty - and other times it means pushing the limit and riding on fumes until you make it to the grocer :)

- our home insurance is not astronomical like most people's. we shop around every year and our insurance is 24 cents a square foot annually. and its good insurance. people in our area can spend upwards of 60 cents a square foot.

- our car insurance is minimal. all of our cars are 6 years old or older. we only carry liability. when we buy a car we purposely try to find the oldest gas-saving car with the lowest mileage to save on insurance - since rates are skewed towards age of car and not mileage.

- where possible, we pay all bills (like car and house insurance, taxes, etc) once a year. if you take the monthly payment option, most companies charge you a $5-$10 fee per month to be on that plan.

- we do not pay for trash pick-up. we recycle all of our plastics, metals, and papers. where we live, there is no recycle pick up. so my wife takes it a few times a month on her way to other errands*. we burn all other trash. we compost everything organic.

- *we purposefully plan out our trips into town. we never go somewhere unless it is "on the way" to somewhere we have to be. for example, the recycling center is on the way to church.

- we re-purpose everything we can. i am the opposite of a pack rat - i like to get rid of all waste - but sometimes i pick things up for no reason. i collected lumber for over a year not knowing what i was going to do with it. just this year i built a new chicken shed with it. they are always throwing out usable things at my work. i bring it home if its in decent shape and looks like i could find a good use. i regularly dumpster dive at work. my chicken shed is probably the only 200+ square foot, insulated, shed that was 98% free in the area. the only thing i purchased was nails. yes, i said insulated. (for free).

- we try to supplement our food intake with growing our own fruits and vegetables. we're still learning with this one - but its usually enough to supplement a couple meals a week. we have difficulty with sunlight in our area, but do not want to clear the trees.

- we have lots and lots of shrubbery and gardens to care for - but no grass. we have a lot of land - but also a lot of tree cover. where there is no tree cover we have shrubs and gardens. i do not have to spend a lot of time or money on cutting grass. we have about 5 acres that is "manicured". of those 5 acres, very little is grass. i can cut it all with a push mower. i got rid of the lawn tractor last year.

- we buy our groceries in bulk, where possible. we do not buy processed foods to the extent most people do. (i cant claim we are 100% processed free). of course things like produce requires weekly trips (on the way to somewhere else) to the grocer.

- we consciously try to eat less. this keeps us in shape, but we also spend less on food because of it.

- we opt for less expensive eating options. for instance, although we love OJ, its really expensive. milk is cheaper. water is free. toast and eggs or oatmeal are cheaper than cereals. i dont know about you, but i can eat half a box of cereal in one sitting. save yourself the temptation - just dont buy it. rice and chicken are cheaper than steak, etc.

- i dont mind eating things leftover. i get a least one meal a week at work this way, scrounging from someone's catered lunch meeting.

- we rarely eat out. this is a huge expense for most people. i was talking to someone just yesterday that said they took a look at their finances over 2013 to date. they said their #1 discretionary expense was eating out. they were really surprised how much they spent. we eat out less than 1 time a week average.

- we dont pay for a gym membership. we have a large church on the way to our work. with a friendly discussion, they agreed to provide the basics for free (even though we dont go there). i go twice a week. my wife runs, which is free. i also do a lot of yard work that i view as part of my workout.

- we do not buy furniture regularly. but, we bought furniture that lasts. our purchased furniture is real wood, and antiques. we buy antiques used off of craigslist when we need something. they are made of real wood - not particle board - and last forever. we have lots of well-made custom furniture that was free or simply the cost of the wood - my dad is a hobby woodworker.

- we try not to use the dishwasher except for really dirty dishes. we handwash as much as possible, conserving water.

- to the extent possible, we always use real dishes, real rags, real cups, etc - things that can be washed - instead of paper plates, paper towels, napkins, etc. before we started this we found we were spending way too much on paper towels, sanitary wipes, disinfecting wipes (we have 3 kids), etc

- we dont use electricity unless necessary. we're not one to "leave the porch light on" so it will be there when we return. and it is really dark in our area. we're not afraid of the boogeyman. we also dont use it inside. our large windows put off enough light for most of the day. why turn on a light? its just habit for most people. at night, i like to read by candlelight. i ask for candles for christmas.

- we never flush the toilet with just pee. we always wait until a #2 comes to flush. you may be thinking this is gross, but with 5 people in our house, this doesnt take long. it never goes more than half a day with pee in the toilet.

- our clothing gets just as clean using cold water as hot. why pay to heat the water for your washing machine?

- we do not take long showers. several days a week we also get free showers at the gym.

- we rarely ever pay for any repairs - house, car, etc. if its broken, we figure out how to fix it. what one man can do, so can another. it simply takes patience. sometimes it takes me 4X longer but i didnt spend money :)

- we dont throw things away just because they are broken. people laugh at me all the time for fixing things they would throw out. "its only $5, go buy another one" they say. 90% of the time i am able to fix it at no cost. some of my yard tools have lasted years past what most people would have used them.

- at least 50% of our christmas gifts are bought with credit card points. we have a credit card that we use on all groceries and gas. it gets points. at the end of the year, we always have enough points to order at least 50% of our gifts with these points, at no cost to us.

- we like hobbies that are free. board games are free. we play those a lot. basketball is free at the gym. basketball leagues for our kids is very inexpensive (like $40 for an 8 week season). contrast that with soccer - which is ridiculously expensive for kids. hiking only requires the cost of gas. i cant remember the last time i bought backpacking gear. most of it was given to me (per my request) at christmas, bday, etc. going to the park with the dogs and kids is free. going for nature walks through the woods in our area (where there is lots of land) is free. one thing we do splurge on is a boat. while this is expensive, we love to water ski. we only are able to do this because of saving in all these other areas. i have a second job teaching community college at night. this discretionary money pays for the boat expenses and gas - so that this hobby rarely touches our "bottom line".

- we never go in debt for anything, ever. our only debt is our mortgage - and we put more than 20% down on the purchase of the house. why pay mortgage insurance? thats stupidity.

capehiker
11-30-2013, 13:55

I did this when I went to PITT. They have all kinds if testing places. I don't think I'd do it now but back in the day I was so broke I couldn't even afford to pay attention. So far no side effects that I know of. :)

Bronk
12-01-2013, 10:32

Its stealing pure and simple. And its one reason why many people will not give to charity, because the money is mismanaged or abused. They don't open soup kitchens so that people can save money for a vacation.

Coffee
12-01-2013, 10:40
I have a four year old LG flip phone with a $20/month plan from Virgin Mobile instead of buying a new iPhone every two years and paying ~$100/month for one of the top tier carriers. This saves almost $1,000 per year.

I have not had cable television for several years and only watch live sports carried over the air. This saves close to another $1,000 per year.

I spent a little over $2,000 on gear over the past year (which will last for several years) so the minimal sacrifice of not having a "smart phone" or cable TV for a year almost entirely funded acquisition of modern lightweight backpacking gear that gives me the ability to go on low budget trips at very low marginal cost (just the cost of gas or airfare, food, and minimal lodging).

For my PCT thru hike in 2015, the net cost is likely to be very low because I plan to rent out my condo for six months while I am away which will almost entirely offset normal cash outflow for housing and, beyond that, I doubt that I will spend much more on the trail than I would in day-to-day life - and probably quite a bit less.

sbhikes
12-03-2013, 21:20
I didn't do it to save for my hike, but before I hiked, I lived pretty frugally. I ended up with so much saved up that I realized I could hike and be unemployed for a couple years if necessary. Things I've always done and still do:

- Thrift store shop
- Freebox shop (There's a box in town where people put free stuff. I check it now and then in case there's something good.)
- Make do with what I've got (don't need fancy gadgets in the kitchen or electronics or whatever)
- I've never bought a car although I have one
- I've never bought a house although I live in one
- Never had kids
- I pay my one and only credit card in full every month
- I don't have a smart phone
- My computer is 13 years old
- Our furniture looks worse than most stuff people leave on the curb

I do splurge on food though. I will buy filet mignon and rib-eye steaks and wild salmon and fancy cheeses. If I'm going to waste my money I'm at least going to enjoy it.

Different Socks
12-03-2013, 23:45
Thanks again for posting everyone!! Especially the person that mentioned donating plasma. I checked into it already here in MT and they are in the process of getting my files from WI before I schedule a physical and my first donation next month. Decided to do it b/c it's a good thing doing it AND b/c when I go thru town on the way to my hiking destinations next summer I can donate twice in 3 days and get $50 for gas in the tank to get me to where I want to hike!!

Nyte
12-04-2013, 00:23
Thanks again for posting everyone!! Especially the person that mentioned donating plasma. I checked into it already here in MT and they are in the process of getting my files from WI before I schedule a physical and my first donation next month. Decided to do it b/c it's a good thing doing it AND b/c when I go thru town on the way to my hiking destinations next summer I can donate twice in 3 days and get $50 for gas in the tank to get me to where I want to hike!!

I'm not so sure you want to donate right before, or really right after a hike. It can take a lot out of you, and your body has to work to recoup from that.

Sly
12-04-2013, 01:22
I'm not so sure you want to donate right before, or really right after a hike. It can take a lot out of you, and your body has to work to recoup from that.

I had concerns and asked about that as I was donating right up until my thru-hike and was told I should be fine. It's been some time but I can't recall ever needing recoup time such as one needs when donating blood.

Still, it's probably best not to donate and immediately hike 15 miles.

Different Socks
12-04-2013, 02:33

I donated for 3 years back on WI. Donating plasma is not the same as giving blood. In other words, you are not told you have to hang around after donating to make sure you'll be okay and drink fluids and/or eat something. That's not the way it is with plasma. The only thing you should do is make sure that if you are doing a daily workout to eat plenty of foods with protein and don't eat alot of foods with fatty substances. I once was declined to donate plasma simply b/c I ate several burgers and a candy bar hours before I went to donate. Too much fat in my blood!
There were several times, I would go straight to the gym for cardio after I donated plasma.

rocketsocks
12-04-2013, 04:04
What are they paying for ones "spirit" these days?

Different Socks
12-04-2013, 10:48

If i understnd the question, it is $20 for first donation, $30 for the 2nd in a 7 day period.

Sly
12-04-2013, 11:25

Got Drama?

If i understnd the question, it is $20 for first donation, $30 for the 2nd in a 7 day period.

Which is the same they paid 15 years ago.

Different Socks
12-04-2013, 11:38
For less than 3 hrs of sitting, answering questions for 2 min and then laying on a lounge bed, that's $15 an hour. I'll take it! Like I said before, that's $50 gas in tank to get me/from trailhead.

HikerMom58
12-04-2013, 11:52
[QUOTE=Sly;1822351]Got Drama?

That's not drama coming from RS. Raw feelings? I can relate. Chin up RS....love you buddy!!

pelenaka
12-05-2013, 02:07
Recently I sat through an AARP meeting that served food 75% of it was not diabetic friendly. So on top of going home hungry I was depressed about being old enough to attend an AARP meeting.

OP, if those food goods scored from your job are quality I'd barter some of it for nonfood items like toiletries, laundry soap, paper products. Make friends with a coupon queen.
Cash is King in our house so every thing we can do to not spend the King we do.

As to the medical testing/trails something to think about if your health insurance ever gets wind of it they will drop you like a hot potato. Maybe illegal but who has the $ to fight a big insurance company and win at a time when you probably need health insurance the most.

Here's my tips & tricks that haven't been mentioned yet -

Get a roommate - especially works if your childless. Had a coworker who set up a tent in his living room then rented out the only bed room in his flat. I myself have gotten a roommate for the summer when my children left for their dad's. Needless to say vet well & invest in a safe.

Websites like fiverr.com where you advertise a skill/job/service for $5. There's a person on there who will do a Sean Connery voice over message. I so could imagine Sean giving my vm message ... she bloody well lost in the woods ... without a martini glass ... again ...

Resell anything & everything. When I lived on Oahu there was a maintenance guy who got fans out of the dumpster, oiled them, wiped down, sold. Used bicycles & bike trailers both cargo & child sell really well in my area.

atraildreamer
12-06-2013, 11:22
... I haven't reached Extreme Cheapskates status yet though. A few years ago, the cheapest person in America contest was won by a guy who would take the extra ply of a two-ply roll of toilet paper off the roll and make a second roll out of it.

MuddyWaters
12-07-2013, 21:54
A few years ago, the cheapest person in America contest was won by a guy who would take the extra ply of a two-ply roll of toilet paper off the roll and make a second roll out of it.

A real cheapskate wouldnt even buy toilet paper.
Theyd take it home from work, gas stations, etc.

A co-worker of mine years ago retired about 1995. He had always had party-line phone service since he bought a house in the 60's, because it was cheaper. By the 1970s he was also the only one left on it, and he kept it till at least around 1992.

I used to work with some really cheap people. One guy at mostly oatmeal, and he retired at 41.

Chris10
12-08-2013, 22:59
Even though I live an Island, I sold my kayak so I could purchase a light weight tent to take on the AT. Love my tent, but miss my kayak!

Dogwood
12-09-2013, 01:37
There's another way of looking at this question FOR ME. I long distance hike to actually save money. FOR ME, in the right situation it's typically less expensive to continue long distance hiking rather than going back to a house/motor vehicle. I lock up the doors or hand over the keys to someone else(sometimes renting my place) letting them take care of the majority of the home/truck bills, pocketing the gravy, and hike/travel. I'll let others take the truck as well. If I didn't need the truck for work I'd live in a city taking public transportation, walking, bicycling all the time and living in a hostel or being a house sitter/personal assistant for someone's estate living on the estate. All I owned and road around on when I first moved to Hawaii was a $500 scooter. Served my purposes just fine. No insurance, no licensing, little to NO fees, fuel costs were MINIMAL, low maintenance costs, etc. During the rainy season(it can rain HARD during some times of the yr on the windward sides of an island) I took the bus or shared some traveling expenses w/ a fellow worker w/ a car.

How motivated are you to get out of debt to live the life you aspire to?

Chair-man
12-09-2013, 01:44
I do almost all of my grocery shopping at Sam's Club. I save about $300.00 a year.

Dogwood
12-09-2013, 01:58
A few years ago, the cheapest person in America contest was won by a guy who would take the extra ply of a two-ply roll of toilet paper off the roll and make a second roll out of it.

No handshakes for that guy. I find folks, especially females, paying needlessly/entirely too much for cleaning and paper products. Napkins are free for patrons. Grab a handful to take home. Some brands of paper towels contain a high % of plastic and aren't all that absorbent anyhow.

Coffee
12-09-2013, 13:19
When I ran through a budget for 2015 I was surprised to see that my total spending was actually a bit lower than it would be if I don't thru hike. The reason is that almost all of the day-to-day expenses of my normal lifestyle disappear. While this benefit is offset by expenses on the trail, I find that it could be close to a wash overall. If I decide to rent out my home for six months then the hike will be a cash flow positive. (FWIW, I'm not including lost income in this analysis since I don't work a conventional job.)

Son Driven
12-09-2013, 14:07
"To what lengths have you gone to save money for your hikes?"

By living smaller, we ourselves living larger.

bamboo bob
12-09-2013, 21:10

I give blood a few times a year. All I get is a T shirt and some oj

SunnyWalker
01-05-2014, 16:56
01/2014 Working at Wal-Mart right now as a cashier and plan on leaving middle of April, 2014 for CDT.