PDA

View Full Version : Ankle support?

illabelle
11-29-2013, 10:36
I'm a barefoot girl at home, inside and out, and I generally don't like bulky shoes, but I ordered some new higher-top boots in the mail to replace my 3 year old Vasque Breeze mid-height boots. Except for some blisters, the Breeze have been good to me, but the tread has worn down over 600 miles of trail and they don't grip like they used to. It was time for replacements.

So I tried on the new boots yesterday. After just one trip up and down the stairs, I feel nearly certain I cannot tolerate them. Except where the trail is flat and smooth (where is that :rolleyes:) the high tops dig into my ankles - front, back, and sides. I imagine I'd be miserable stuck with them on the trail!

I'd be interested to hear the opinions of others about the importance of ankle support. If ankle support is really really really important, tell me why it's worth enduring the discomfort. Otherwise, I'm going to return these and get me something lightweight and comfortable.

wannahike
11-29-2013, 10:44
I'd be interested to hear the opinions of others about the importance of ankle support. If ankle support is really really really important, tell me why it's worth enduring the discomfort. Otherwise, I'm going to return these and get me something lightweight and comfortable.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you get ankle support from high tops. You need strong ligaments and muscles for support.
I hiked the Smokies this summer and used my Merrell pace gloves with no problem. I brought some homemade rock plates but I didn't use them.
:sun

Deadeye
11-29-2013, 12:52
IMHO, any shoe that's going to give you real ankle support is going to give you real problems with restricted movement and blisters. I stopped using boots in favor of running/hiking shoes years ago and won't go back. I use boots only in the winter now, otherwise your feet and ankles are meant for walking, so walk!

Meriadoc
11-29-2013, 13:29
"Now I am up to my favorite piece of hiking advice. People ask me about my sandals and how I can wear them for hiking in all trail conditions. They wonder about ankle support. They wonder about arch support. Here are my answers:

With a normal, healthy ankle the only way that a person needs a boot for ankle support is if that person wears a boot. It's simple. Without a boot, the ankle becomes strong; with a boot, the ankle becomes weak. The same is true regarding arch support. And heel lift. Thus if one never has ankle nor arch support, one never needs ankle nor arch support."

The only time I have failed at wearing sandals is in temperatures that are below freezing or when there is snow on the ground. Bushwhacking has been okay although there were times I wished for a little more protection from brambles and such. Moccasins are my next step.

Of course it takes time to build up tendon, ligament, and muscle strength. But it sounds like you might be there already. For others just starting out, take it very slowly.

Above, I'm quoting myself because I'm lazy. :P. The long winded version can be found here: http://meriadocthehalfling.blogspot.com/2013/03/never-wear-boots.html

colorado_rob
11-29-2013, 13:49
I don't think you get ankle support from high tops. You need strong ligaments and muscles for support.
I hiked the Smokies this summer and used my Merrell pace gloves with no problem. I brought some homemade rock plates but I didn't use them.
:sun True this, one of the biggest falsehoods in the "boot industry" is the "ankle support from high-tops" thing. It's the torsional (twisting) stiffness of the sole that really matters, hence why some low-top shoes, like Merrell Chameleon's (and others) have great support, simple by having a stiff sole. Try some sometime. I do think "support" is very important to reducing fatigue, hence why I like a stiffer sole. I only wear higher boots when I need ankle Protection (from rocks, etc) or in snow/cold for warmth/water resistance.

Odd Man Out
11-29-2013, 15:01
I read somewhere (It may have bee Skurka's Ultimate Hikers book) that ankle support is not as important as most will claim (as you have already seen from the first responses above), even misguided. His claim is that your ankle is naturally adapted to absorb twists and turns whereas you knee is more of a hinge that bends on one axis. By restricting the ability of your ankle to move with the irregularities of the trail, you transfer that twist to your knee which is less able to handle it. Usual disclaimers (I am not a doctor, YMMV, etc...)

illabelle
11-29-2013, 16:07
Gee, somebody needs to tell the boot manufacturers to let up on all the ankle support sales talk! I think the high top boots are generally better looking, but nobody has ever stopped me on the trail to comment on my boots, so I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter. :p

Thank you all for your comments, which make perfect sense to me. Especially interesting, Odd Man Out, is your observation that the twisting is transferred to the knee - I don't need that! Definitely getting some low shoes. Today's a good day for online shopping anyway! :D

Hot Flash
11-29-2013, 20:30
Ankle support/weak ankles is a myth. If you are capable of walking day to day without rolling your ankles, you are capable of doing it on the trail.

hikerboy57
11-29-2013, 21:23
Ankle support/weak ankles is a myth. If you are capable of walking day to day without rolling your ankles, you are capable of doing it on the trail.
then you havent hiked the northeast.

squeezebox
11-29-2013, 22:15
I think it's best to try on shoes before you buy them. They can be cut very differently. I do roll my ankles, I want high tops.

hikerboy57
11-29-2013, 22:24
I think it's best to try on shoes before you buy them. They can be cut very differently. I do roll my ankles, I want high tops.
you need to work on strengthening your ankles. the high tops wont prevent you from rolling your ankles. if your ankles are that weak, braces are a better alternative. i wore keen targhee mids last year and hurt my ankle.when i should have zeroed,i continued to push and i am sure that having higher tops actually contributed to my injury and made it worse, because my ankle kept pushing back against the walls of my shoe, instead of being able to turn unimpeded. either way they didnt prevent them from turning, just created more stress.ive switched to trail runners, and had no ankle problems over about 700 miles of trail this past year.and my ankles are much stronger now.

pawlinghiker
12-01-2013, 11:53
I have fallen arches.

Mid height boots with good support really help for me

Tried shoes but my feet hurt.

Traffic Jam
12-01-2013, 12:33
My core strength, while much improved over the last few years, is still pretty weak. I slip and slide on the trail and have had some falls. I thought my mid-height boots have saved me several times from twisted ankles but now I'm questioning that. I was walking down the stairs in my boots the other day and could feel my center of gravity was off and I felt like I was going to fall. The boots are new and aren't broken in yet so that could be the problem.

Jan LiteShoe
12-01-2013, 13:15
I tend to roll my ankle, esp. when carrying weight. Did most of my long distance backpacking and my AT thru in low-top Merrels and Salamons. My hiking poles allowed me to "give" in my joints slightly when a roll felt imminent, and my arms then stabilized the situation. This happened innumerable times a day/week.
I also carried an elastic ankle support, and did use it once in a while on one ankle towards the end, when the slippery NH/Maine rocks and roots took their toll. But I never sprained anything. Worked for me, and the light weight of my trail runners was a joy.
Other than my hiking poles and a good, grippy tread, a good sports orthotic, fitted for me with a stabilizing heel cup, did more to help me walk soundly than anything else.

hikerboy57
12-01-2013, 13:39
I have fallen arches.

Mid height boots with good support really help for me

Tried shoes but my feet hurt.try green superfeet

MuddyWaters
12-01-2013, 17:58
I have seen hikers with sores around their leg where the top of their boot rubbed them.

Its not possible for a boot to supply any significant support to the ankle, and still allow the foot and ankle to move the way it needs to.
To support it, would require it to be laced tightly and it would be very uncomfortable.

Want to know what supports an ankle? Ski boots, but they suck for walking. Hockey skates, but they suck for walking, Figure skates, but they suck for walking. See a pattern here?

Other things do happen though.
It can provide ankle protection
It can provide a nice secure feeling
It can provide some feedback when the ankle begins to flex too far

Boots also have stiff soles, that flex less underfoot, and protect from small rocks, etc.

In the end, it comes down to preference. I am a firm believer in trail runners that tend toward the minimal side. I like to feel the trail under my feet, every rock. Feet get used to it and it feels normal.