PDA

View Full Version : Rain Mitts: MLD's eVent Rain Mitts vs Lukes Ultralite options

M C
11-29-2013, 14:19
Need help deciding on rain mitts for my 2014 thru please. Zpacks & BlackRock Gear don't have theirs available right now, so I've narrowed it down to these:
MLD's eVent: http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=51
Lukes offers a cuben: http://lukesultralite.com/content/cuben-fiber-over-mitts and these: http://lukesultralite.com/content/waterproofbreathable-over-mittens - which seem to offer a Gore-tex option as well.
I'm not familiar with the pros / cons of these materials compared to each other. Any advice re waterproofness (assuming I'll have them taped/sealed), durability etc would be appreciated!

oldwetherman
11-29-2013, 20:15
MC. I've tried several different combinations of mitten outer shells and liners including the ones from Zpacks. I settled on the MLD event shells, seam sealed inside and outside, and Ragged Mountain's mountain mitt mid weight fleece liners. Also, something I learned from hiking in rain, freezing rain, sleet and snow is to be sure the sleeves of your raingear overlap the tops of your mittens by several inches. Nothing more miserable than cold water running off your sleeves directly into your mittens. Good Luck next year. Planning it is part of the fun.

Del Q
11-30-2013, 09:17
Luke's gear looks great, cool local company.....................I purchased a pair of the MLD mitts about 2 years ago, will never go out without them. Even on warmer days (ie 50 degrees) in the rain, using these or similar waterproof mittens are great with hiking poles and keep your hands dry or semi-dry and warm!

Good gear to have..........in the nasty cold weather these on top of gloves is ideal.

MuddyWaters
11-30-2013, 10:51
google DIY tyvek rain mitts

Dogwood
11-30-2013, 14:19
I'm not going to tell you what's right for you. I can't anyway because I don't fully know what you want, what your priorities are. FOR ME, if I was seeking the best balance of durability, breathabilty, waterproofness, and price(some BIG differences here do re mi % wise), in an UL mitten(with the ones you listed), NO DOUBT, I would opt for either the Mountain Laurel Designs 3 layer EVent or Lukes Gore-Tex Paclite mittens. Hands down. :)

Save the other mittens made by Zpacks, BlackRock, and Lukes for the anal UL gram weenie gear wonks.

And as Muddy Waters posted DIY mitts are one of the easiest and cost effective DIY gear projects.

Dogwood
11-30-2013, 14:38
IF you go with either the MLD or Lukes GoreTex Paclite mitts buy them seam sealed or do it yourself. It's my guess seam sealing yourself rather than seam taping will be a more durable WP approach in a mitt. It's my advice you buy a tube of McNetts Seam Grip anyway. It's useful for a myriad of gear uses and it can be thinned which might be advisable with mitts. MLD posted the link on how to seam seal yourself under the event Rain Mitts features tab. If you can brush your teeth you can seam seal mitts.

M C
11-30-2013, 18:30
Thanks for the tips guys. Oldwetherman, good reminder about the sleeve length (I've had that happen once before and it sucks). I'm not much of a DIY guy, but I know lots of people have been happy with that. Dogwood, yes, you're right on track with my thinking - I want a good balance of waterproofness, durability and breathability.
Even though the Cuben is the lightest, seems like it might not be as durable as the other options. Everyone appears to be happy with their MLD's, but Lukes option is also appealing so I was hoping for some good feedback on those. To quote from Lukes site:
"These are a 2.5 layer waterproof/Breathable mitten designed to go over an insulating layer of fleece or similar gloves to protect you from the elements. Mittens have a serged construction and a draw cord enclosure with anchored cord lock to keep them snugly on your hands. The top channel has 1/16 shock cord to keep the snow out and the wrist can be tightened down using the 3/8in size release buckle and grossgrain. The pair weighs a low 1.8oz. Available in Grey and Black, or in our new Gore-tex PAC-LITE Moss Green". So, a couple questions: The additional strap up by the thumb/wrist looks like it could be handy - is that a good feature? Also, if I'm reading this correctly it looks like there are 2 choices of material here (the 2.5 layer wp/breathable material OR the Gore-tex PAC LITE) - what's the difference & benefit of one over the other and vs Event? Thanks for the reminder about seam sealing - will definitely do that.

Elder
11-30-2013, 18:57
Exhibit #3. Etowah Gear Epic rainmitts. Epic is waterproof/breathable and they really help keep your hands dry in rain/warm in cold, especially over fleece gloves.

sbhikes
12-01-2013, 19:41
I bought some MLD rain mitts. Seam sealed them myself (they look terrible now). I use them riding my motorcycle in the rain. They seem to work well. I wish there was elastic around my wrists, though, not just higher up, because without it around my wrists they seem sort of hard to put on and keep them in place well on my hands.

M C
12-10-2013, 00:28
Went with Luke's. Really like the design with the 2nd cinch/strap - that's gotta help in the rain w/trekking poles. Can't wait to try 'em out.

Gravesbrock
12-10-2013, 00:59
I have have no experience with Luke's but, like others have said the mlds are nice.

Went with Luke's. Really like the design with the 2nd cinch/strap - that's gotta help in the rain w/trekking poles. Can't wait to try 'em out.

Pics?

Lucy Lulu
12-10-2013, 07:37
My MLD mitts have now been on two long distance hikes with me, and are still going strong. They are rugged and have held up quite well. I would purchase them again.

chilln
12-10-2013, 08:37
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-ARMY-GORETEX-GLOVES-MITTENS-OUTER-ECW-DPM-NEW-SAS-PARAS-MARINES-/201001068140 I have been using these and really like them. I got them from my local army / navy store.. My only issue is the color(Camo) but they were 1/4 of the cost. If I was to pick from the three I would go with the luke's gortex. Just for the durability factor.