PDA

View Full Version : Heck !! bring along the kitchen sink.

squeezebox
11-29-2013, 23:06
I would think it might be handy to bring along the bottom part of a 1/2 or 1 gal milk jug, for kitchen sink, bath sink, laundry sink, drowning fires.
But geez my pack list just keeps getting bigger with a bunch of little stuff. It has to stop somewhere.

jimmyjam
11-29-2013, 23:17
Just bring a gallon ziplock freezer bag.

MuddyWaters
11-29-2013, 23:21
do laundry in town
dont build fires
use ziplock for anything else.

Another Kevin
11-30-2013, 00:32
I bring a nylon bucket, for hauling water to treat in camp; for washing dishes, clothes, or me; and as a fire extinguisher. It's a comfort item. If I weren't a clueless weekender, it'd be one of the first things to be dispensed with.

Deadeye
11-30-2013, 00:57
I would think it might be handy to bring along the bottom part of a 1/2 or 1 gal milk jug, for kitchen sink, bath sink, laundry sink, drowning fires.

I've never used it to drown fires, but I carry 1/2 a one-gallon milk jug for bath and laundry. In the pack and in camp, it serves to hold - and protect small items like toothpaste, headlamp, stove, even my glasses at night.

Trailweaver
11-30-2013, 03:52
I used to have a "foldable" plastic sink - just a round plastic bowl about 6" deep. I used it to wash my dishes and stuff when I "car camped." It was handy, but not handy enough to haul in a backpack once I started backpacking. Now I just do all that in my largest pot, which isn't to say the largest pot, just the pot I take that's big enough.

Hikes in Rain
11-30-2013, 10:17
Re: the milk jug sink. Exactly what I do. I wear contact lenses, so it's handy for making sure my hands are clean before messing with my eyes. One advantage: my whole cook kit fits in it, so it doesn't take up any more space. And it's almost weightless.

daddytwosticks
11-30-2013, 12:10
I use a Platy big zip bag for water in camp. Also carry some Ziplock bags for other purposes. No kitchen sink for this hiker. :)

Terry7
11-30-2013, 12:45
Just use your cook pot.

grayfox
11-30-2013, 13:37
I found that a plastic kitty litter jug fit perfectly inside my favorite day pack. I cut it down to sink height at first and then found that it worked so well that I made another one deeper. It keeps the pack open while I pack and unpack and is very handy in camp, especialy when the ground is muddy. It seemed kind of silly at first but I find it useful for may reasons.

grayfox
11-30-2013, 13:42
I forgot to say that the short version works as a rain protector when straped down on top of the pack, which cinches closed and has a single strap that buckles over the top of the pack.

Storm
11-30-2013, 14:45
I bring a nylon bucket, for hauling water to treat in camp; for washing dishes, clothes, or me; and as a fire extinguisher. It's a comfort item. If I weren't a clueless weekender, it'd be one of the first things to be dispensed with.

I will not give up my nylon bucket. Use it just about every day when hiking.

off-pher
11-30-2013, 17:16
I will not give up my nylon bucket. Use it just about every day when hiking.
+1 never hike without it

Wise Old Owl
11-30-2013, 22:06
I too have one - but didn't take it on the last backpack trip.

theinfamousj
12-10-2013, 02:56
Because my gear closet is too big...

I have the Sea to Summit Kitchen Sink (which I love, profusely), a gallon sized ish Aloksak (which holds itself open with water inside and stands on its own), and a cook pot. I have used each of these on trips.

My one non-negotiable is that I go to bed clean, every night. I will sponge bath my entire body before bed and a source of bath water is an absolute necessity. The Aloksak is lighter and can multi-task, but when I am willing to carry the weight penalty, I really enjoy the durability of the Kitchen Sink.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Kc Fiedler
12-15-2013, 20:16
Doesn't anyone use the Doctor B's ziploc washing machine? I've never found anything that wont fit or can't be cleaned in a one gallon bag with a few drops of Dr B's and some shaking. Seems like there's an awful lot of hypothetical postulating going on on this forum in general. Just get out there and do it. You'll figure out what works.

jimmyjam
12-15-2013, 20:40
Doesn't anyone use the Doctor B's ziploc washing machine? I've never found anything that wont fit or can't be cleaned in a one gallon bag with a few drops of Dr B's and some shaking. Seems like there's an awful lot of hypothetical postulating going on on this forum in general. Just get out there and do it. You'll figure out what works.
Yep, that's how I do it. I also carry some bleach in a re-purposed eye dropper bottle and add a couple of drops of bleach to the wash- helps knock back the funk.