PDA

View Full Version : interest in an ellijay hostel?

Hill Ape
11-30-2013, 01:25
just wondering what the feeling would be

Trailweaver
11-30-2013, 03:45
Sure, why not? It's close to Springer. . . Do a shuttle, and you've got a business, right? I've always wondered why there wasn't one there.

Sly
11-30-2013, 07:41
With shuttles to/from Springer and Atlanta, it's a great location for those starting and finishing the trail.

10-K
11-30-2013, 10:22
Mulberry Gap is just outside of Ellijay and is awesome. They'll do shuttles, have great lodging, etc. etc. etc.

http://www.mulberrygap.com/

Rain Man
12-02-2013, 10:08

I'd vote for it. It'd be closer and more convenient to me for some of the trips I've taken down there.

Rain:sunMan

Rain Man
12-02-2013, 10:11
Mulberry Gap is just outside of Ellijay and is awesome.

That's a mountain bike place and they list (push?) the Pinhoti Trail, it appears, for mountain biking? Is that an accurate reading?

Rain Man

moytoy
12-02-2013, 10:42
I think if it were done as a hobby/business it might workout. I would look long and hard at a true business model to make a living running a hostel. But as far as Elijay goes, why not? I would stop in every now and again.

Tennessee Viking
12-02-2013, 15:52
It might work as a hobby business hostel. Not sure of the exact number of AT hostels in the area other than the Hike Inn.

Working with other hostels and shuttlers

It would be in great distance to the several BMT trailheads, Pinhoti terminus, Cohuttas/Froggs and Springer.

max patch
12-02-2013, 18:20
Not sure of the exact number of AT hostels in the area other than the Hike Inn.

I think its a real stretch to consider the Hike Inn a hostel.

10-K
12-02-2013, 18:39
That's a mountain bike place and they list (push?) the Pinhoti Trail, it appears, for mountain biking? Is that an accurate reading?

Rain Man

True, but it's just outside Ellijay and they'll be happy to shuttle you wherever you want to go.

Also... I do believe the Pinhoti (and BMT) is closer to Ellijay than the AT - though I could be mistake.

Trailweaver
12-03-2013, 02:55
The Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega is a great hostel - shuttles all around, going to Atlanta, and they work with both hikers and bikers. I'm planning a trip in the spring for staying there and doing some kayaking close by, and I've stayed there when I wasn't hiking. It's nice enough to be a good hotel, and hostel enough to be friendly to hikers, etc., kinda a hybrid, if you will.

I think there's "room for one more" so to speak, especially close to Springer. It is also close to several rivers, and if they work with a kayak/canoe outfitter, they could make some money on all angles. Also, in that area, people just come "to the mountains" for weekend get-aways.

Hill Ape
12-12-2013, 00:53
well, the thing is i work 4on 3off at the airport, so shuttle service might actually be convenient for all. i'm either going home to ellijay, or going to work at ATL. but i've read some beware warning about operating shuttles. can that be avoided by not charging for the shuttle ride (i'm making the trip any way, and just giving a ride to friends and fellow hikers. or is this legal grey area? my father and i live along gunstock creek, but i am looking at building a cabin around New Hope, and include a very basic backpacker hostel, meets euro hostel, meets India House New Orleans, meets the Green Tortoise in SF... and my all time favorite hostel in the world, toss in some elements of the Mountain House in Gimmelwald Switzerland.

The location i believe would make it the closest to the 42 parking lot of any other option. this is sort of a daydream i'm just fleshing out I've toured Europe extensively and fell in love with the variety of hostels and how they pull it off, basically the lifestyle suited me. i'm going to keep kicking this around, any hostel owners mind reaching out and offering advice, warning of what not to do etc. or just rain on my parade.

10-K
12-12-2013, 07:21
Trust me. You don't want to go through the expense of starting a hostel and then get dodgy about shuttle insurance.

Do what the Hiker Hostel is doing - shuttle guests only and be covered by your hostel coverage. If you're shuttling non-guests and get in an accident without the right insurance you're screwed. And insurance companies have seen it all - if you try to say everyone is your guest because they're in your vehicle or some other obvious attempt to avoid having proper insurance they'll figure it out in about 30 seconds.

I'm pretty risk averse when it comes to protecting my assets but I don't think it's paranoid to be properly insured. Talk to pros - don't take the advice of laypeople dispensing free advice about how to run a business.

max patch
12-12-2013, 13:03
What happened to the Mountaintown Outdoor Expeditions property after Jay and his wife passed away? That would certainly be close to Springer. Their emphasis was on canoeing and biking, but that is where I bought my Zip Stove years ago. Good people.