PDA

View Full Version : Powdered Coconut Milk

Rocket Jones
11-30-2013, 10:47
With the recent threads about caveman/paleo/primal diets, I thought this might be of interest. Wally World has packets of powdered coconut milk for a buck a pop. They were near the Asian foods like soy sauce, etc. Good for curries and lactose sensitivities.

fiddlehead
11-30-2013, 10:57
I usually try to get the coconut cream (vs milk) as it is sweeter.
Used in combination with yellow (Indian) curry powder, it will change the personality of any backpacking dish.
(Maybe not so good with cheese. Try to keep your ingredients veggies and meat IMO)

Dogwood
11-30-2013, 13:21
You'll find Grace brand Coconut Milk Powder in WalMart for about that price, $1. It's quite tasty. Mixing coconut powder w/peanut butter(I prefer packets of various nut butters) and a bit of dried red pepper flakes or chives(green onion) goes really well over noodles(Ramen works but I prefer rice noodles or better yet Buckwheat(SOBA) noodles) on trail; you can add some chicken chunks or a dried meat like some bits of jerky. Try it in oatmeal as well; dried coconut milk can be a replacement for dried cow's milk. Oatmeal, dried coconut milk powder, dried fruit(try blueberries, strawberries, mangos), and some nuts(almond slices, walnuts, etc), and perhaps some shelled hempseed and I got a trail b-fast that gets me going and sustains me on cooler temp morns. I don't just use it in meals like Indian and Asian dishes on trail either but also in Caribbean Island's dishes like with dired black beans and dried mango pieces and Island spices ALL in trail foods. Dried coconut milk is relatively cheap, tasty(provides something different than the same old BORING rather tasteless dried cow's milk alternatives!), and really can help push up the cals/oz ratio which can be important with trail foods.

Dogwood
11-30-2013, 13:28
Heck, so many times, I've gone into Wally World for a resupply grabbing two packets of Ramen, one packet of grace coconut milk powder, and a packet of Justin's PB and bunch of fresh green onions(used for several trail meals) for a trail dinner and I kept in under $3 for the dinner. Sometimes, I'll get lucky and there will be a pizza place like a Pizza Hut/Dominos nearby and I'll not buy the green onions because I replaced that items with the free red pepper packets from PHut(I ask first). Ditch the Ramen spice packets.

WingedMonkey
02-21-2014, 22:40
With the recent threads about caveman/paleo/primal diets, I thought this might be of interest. Wally World has packets of powdered coconut milk for a buck a pop. They were near the Asian foods like soy sauce, etc. Good for curries and lactose sensitivities.

I've used this stuff off and on for years, never paid much attention to the label until doing a yo-yo in the Everglades this season.

Coconut Milk, Maltodextrin, Sodium Caseinate (Milk Derivative)

Not sure how lactose sensitive some folks are, not a problem I have.

Drybones
02-21-2014, 23:02

Thanks for the info, I was looking in the wrong place yesterday.