PDA

View Full Version : Smaller, lighter option to ski goggles?

M C
11-30-2013, 19:02
I wear contacts and my eyes "tear up" really bad in cold wind. Ski goggles work great to prevent this, but I'd love to find something a bit lighter and smaller for my Feb thru start. Any suggestions? Thanks!

OCDave
11-30-2013, 19:18
Have you considered Glacier glasses?

Slo-go'en
11-30-2013, 19:28
If it's that bad out you need goggles, I'd say you should really be in a warm hotel room in town :) Wrap around sun glasses would probably be enough for the conditions your likely to encounter. It's not like your down hill sking in sub zero temps...

T.S.Kobzol
11-30-2013, 20:32
I use this sometimes:
http://www.amazon.com/Julbo-Sherpa-Mountain-Sunglasses-Spectron/dp/B001O0DN4U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385857862&sr=8-1&keywords=julbo+sherpa

Mr. Bumpy
11-30-2013, 20:36
Maybe try these.

http://www.blockbustercostumes.com/p-6318-green-alien-eye-sunglasses.aspx?catargetid=1693673969&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CNKn-PvjjbsCFU_NOgodTE8APA#.UpqEgKW6BcM

Herb
11-30-2013, 22:00
I wear contacts and my eyes "tear up" really bad in cold wind. Ski goggles work great to prevent this, but I'd love to find something a bit lighter and smaller for my Feb thru start. Any suggestions? Thanks!
I've wondered about this too. How about the throw away goggles like jockeys use in horse races?
Should be cheap and reasonably reusable.

Another Kevin
11-30-2013, 22:18
I've on occasion been known to wear industrial safety glasses with side shields in windy weather.

LIhikers
11-30-2013, 23:22
There are some goggles made for ATV riders that are smaller, lighter, and cheaper than ski goggles.

CoffeeBager
11-30-2013, 23:23
Like Another Kevin, I've used safety glasses. If your head isn't too big around, you can also check out goggles in the kids' section. Adult goggles are generally sized to fit around a helmet. Kids' ones might provide enough coverage for non-helmet activities. I use kids' goggles for commuting on my bicycle, and they weigh about half what my regular adult ski goggles weigh.

squeezebox
11-30-2013, 23:50
What about a larger pair of swim goggles ?

SunnyWalker
12-01-2013, 23:51
Kobzol: I like those too. Used them a lot. Great. Take a beating too.

squeezebox
12-02-2013, 00:01
are glasses an option ?

peakbagger
12-02-2013, 08:15
I use industrial safety glasses made by UVEX for 90% of my winter hiking in the whites. The model I bought has a wrap around on the sides so it has very good coverage. Folks don't realize that sunglasses have at least 3 categories of UV protection. Many fashion glasses have a low rating. Industrial Sunglasses generally have the highest rating. They also are treated with a antifogging treatment. Antifog treatment really should be described as fogging resistance treatment but I find my Uvexs work better than goggles in most conditions (but they do fog up if the conditions are right.

Realistically I occasionally carry goggles for big hikes with exposure like Washington and the Northern Presidentials but rarely do I use them but when I need them the conditions are pretty gnarly.

jred321
12-04-2013, 10:22
Another option would be glasses/sunglasses designed for riding a motorcycle. They're designed to keep wind out of your eyes at highway speeds. Some even have foam around the edges so they seal better.

Coffee
12-04-2013, 10:30
I use the Julbo Colorado glacier glasses:

http://www.julbousa.com/mountain/colorado/

M C
12-05-2013, 14:44
Thanks everyone for a lot of good ideas. I'm feeling like Goldilocks on this (ski goggles are great, but too big, regular glasses & the glaciers are too small...)
The Julbo's/Glaciers look cool, but I've tried similar with the side piece and they just don't work with a lot of wind (top & bottom near center still exposed. plus, a lot of them seem to have a super dark tint for what they're intended for - some even warn you not to drive with them).
Larger swim goggles could work - would definitely have the seal all around - if anyone has found a specific pair that looks promising, please post a link.
Same with the ATV/motorcycle/jockey - I'm sure some of those would do the trick. If anyone's had success with a specific pair, please post link.
@ Mr Bumpy - I'd definitely be the coolest cat on the trail with those! Maybe I'll give em a try in the Spring...
Another Kevin & Peakbagger, the safety goggles you mention might be my best bet. Seems like I've seen something like that before - good size, lightweight, mild tint options, some have good anit-fog qualities due to nature of use and most importantly, they have full seal @ all sides to address
the main concern. I'll search that category and see what's out there, but again, if anyone has a specific model, please let us know. Thanks again!

jred321
12-05-2013, 14:57
Stop by your local Cycle Gear (or other MC shop) and check these out http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/Biker/Helmets/Accessories/brand/RIVER-ROAD/Stray-Cat-Sunglasses/p/43691_199518 You can see that the entire edge surrounding the eye has foam to keep wind out and you can get them in either clear or tinted.

M C
12-05-2013, 15:50
Goldilocks says "These look just right..." Nice & simple. The price is right too. Now I can look like this: :cool: even on a windy day.
Thank you!

jimmyjam
12-05-2013, 19:45
Stop by your local Cycle Gear (or other MC shop) and check these out http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/Biker/Helmets/Accessories/brand/RIVER-ROAD/Stray-Cat-Sunglasses/p/43691_199518 You can see that the entire edge surrounding the eye has foam to keep wind out and you can get them in either clear or tinted.

+1 to bike glasses like these. I used to wear these when I was into Harleys because my eyes would tear bad with regular type sunglasses and "clears".

HikerMom58
12-05-2013, 20:37
Goldilocks says "These look just right..." Nice & simple. The price is right too. Now I can look like this: :cool: even on a windy day.
Thank you!

Yay... :cool: Good luck on your thru start in Feb. M C !!

MuddyWaters
12-06-2013, 04:57
Any pair of wraparound sunglasses that fit close to face used to work OK for me. I used to wear them driving a boat for the same reason.

M C
12-06-2013, 19:20
Yay... :cool: Good luck on your thru start in Feb. M C !!
Thanks! Gonna need it, but you fine folks here on WB have been a tremendous help.

rocketsocks
12-06-2013, 19:31
Wally world also sells what looks like hand ball goggles for about 12 bucks, only they're tinted and have foam on the inside...they're billed as snow board goggles. In my experience they will fog unless steps are taking to prevent,ie spay on fog stopper, or addtional holes added in the foam..but they are low profile.

Malto
12-06-2013, 19:55
Skydiving goggles

M C
12-06-2013, 20:05
Rocketsocks/Malto, that's a concern I've had with some of the smaller/lower profile options with this: Fogging. I hike pretty "warm/hot" so I'm sure I could easily fog up some of the smaller, tighter pieces.
I've always assumed one of the reasons ski goggles work so well re fogging is because of their larger size. I have a great pair that doesn't weigh too much, but they're just so "big" for hiking, that's why I'm
on this mission to find something smaller. I've never tried any of the anti-fog sprays - do they actually work? Seems like I recall someone on here rec a brand called CatCrap or something like that?
We have a couple of those motorcycle stores near us, I'm gonna try and go there this weekend and see what all they have. Thx again everyone!

rocketsocks
12-06-2013, 20:14
I've never tried any of the anti-fog sprays - do they actually work? Seems like I recall someone on here rec a brand called CatCrap or something like that?
We have a couple of those motorcycle stores near us, I'm gonna try and go there this weekend and see what all they have. Thx again everyone!Don't know, never tried the stuff, i always just spit on it, but that's fer divin....give it a try and post how ya make out. I did add a couple extra hole to an older pair of ski goggles I had once that always seemed to fog....that solved it, but my eyeballs got colder quicker...whatta gonna do, tit for tat.

kayak karl
12-06-2013, 20:37
i wear these on the water in high winds http://www.sunglasswarehouse.com/padded-goggle-sunglasses.html

spartyblaze
12-07-2013, 09:40
I use ATV goggles when necessary - they're pretty light, I believe the brand is Scott and they cost around $25.

Hard to predict when to bring them as they really only serve the one purpose....