PDA

View Full Version : Full length side zip pants for hiking/backpacking

blackwater slim
11-30-2013, 19:51
I found some Sporthill Terrian II pants (cross country ski pants) on Amazon for $47 (msrp of $110 or so) a month or so ago and they are even a longer lenth (34 1/2 inseam maybe a little longer) which works with my hiking boots. The 3D or whatever material is fantastic for wind, are hydrophobic and provides a tremendous comfort range for temps from 60 down to 20 with wind so far (rated for down to zero). The cut is good, and think sweat pants in terms of feel of the material. Here is the one problem and leads to my real question. They have no leg zippers and I have to take my boots off when time to shed them.
Please give a suggestion for some full side zip ski or other type pants that would work for hiking. This seems like a no-brainer but apparently there is not much market for pants of this type.

oldwetherman
11-30-2013, 20:31
Check out REI's "No sit zip" pants. The zipper doesn't run the entire length of the pants. It stops at the knees and "ties" into a zipper that goes around the knee. The pants can easily be slipped over footwear or converted into a pair of shorts.

blackwater slim
12-01-2013, 10:18
Yeah, wetherman, I have a pair of those and really like them, almost worn out one pair already...however, in the colder or more precisely fluctuating temperature situations, you would need long johns which puts me back in the situation of stopping to take my boots off to peel out of the long johns when the temp goes up, and then around the bend into the cloud and cold wind and so on wanting to put them back on. The sporthill pants mentioned above fits the bill almost perfectly if they could be taken off and put on easier (and maybe the legs vented when the temps heat up a little). I also have the added issue of being 6"5" and need a longer inseam which make this type of pant an even rarer find.

oldwetherman
12-01-2013, 18:18
Blackwater slim. 6'5". I feel your pain. I'm 6'4" with 38" inseam...all can say is thank goodness for gaiters. Good luck with the pants issue. Do you have any issues with trail runner/ boot sizes? This spring I hiked with a guy trail named sixseven.....because he was. I believe he wore a size 16 wide shoe. By the time he reached Virginia his shoes were held together with duct tape. I heard that he didn't finish his thru attempt because he couldn't get a replacement pair of shoes anywhere....even online.

blackwater slim
12-02-2013, 23:15
As far as shoes, a little. I wear 13's and often feel I need a 13 1/2 but almost not made. I do have soloman quest 4d boots in 13 1/2 and they are better than the 13's I had (warranty issue led to replacement). (narrow low volume feet)
Finding clothes has been an issue to a degree. there are some companies that take care of long tall fellers. LL Bean, REI, Columbia for the most part. We are limited though.
I have always wondered why athletic clothing folks don't make athlete sizes. Nike, Adidas etc don't make stuff for tall folks, How many pro athletes do you know that are not 6'5 or better...especially in basketball and football. We need Bill Walton to get his feet fixed and start hiking again.

jeffmeh
12-03-2013, 10:21
Finding clothes has been an issue to a degree. there are some companies that take care of long tall fellers. LL Bean, REI, Columbia for the most part. We are limited though.
I have always wondered why athletic clothing folks don't make athlete sizes. Nike, Adidas etc don't make stuff for tall folks, How many pro athletes do you know that are not 6'5 or better...especially in basketball and football. We need Bill Walton to get his feet fixed and start hiking again.

Except of course, for athletic shorts, most of which appear to be made for 7 footers these days. :)