WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Wise Old Owl

Geography has made us neighbors. History has made us friends. Economics has made us partners, and necessity has made us allies. Those whom God has so joined together, let no man put asunder.
John F. Kennedy

1. What do you carry your Alcohol ifuel in?

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Any 16-oz. soda or water bottle will be perfectly fine--I've never had one leak. I used one bottle for the entire CDT.
    The leak is from the paper and foil cap - it was designed to a one use gas tank. it is in your best interest to use another bottle well labeled - However using a soda bottle for a poison is illegal and is the source of many lawsuits. There are federal laws associated to this behavior. As Mags pointed out he knows people that have made the mistake. It was even used
    Tags: bottle, methanol, soda Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Eucalyptus and Deet based products what you need to know to avoid getting sick.

Right off the EPA has made tremendous testing and its not hard to read their website and I quote Deet is a Repellent.

Benefits of DEET products
    DEET's most significant benefit is its ability to repel potentially disease-carrying insects and ticks. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) receives more than 20,000 reports of Lyme disease (transmitted by deer ticks) and 100 reports of encephalitis (transmitted by mosquitoes) annually. Both of
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. When to use Permethrin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    From the EPA: "In 1972, EPA issued a cancellation order for DDT based on adverse environmental effects of its use, such as those to wildlife, as well as DDT’s potential human health risks. Since then, studies have continued, and a causal relationship between DDT exposure and reproductive effects is suspected. Today, DDT is classified as a probable human carcinogen by U.S. and international authorities. This classification is based on animal studies in which some animals developed liver tumors.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. no cook camp foods.

Quote Originally Posted by Coosa View Post
    Foods for NO COOK trail eating ...

I found this on the internet but have no URL

Food - Calories per ounce (28.35 grams)

Lard - 253
    Canola or Olive Oil - 240
    Mayonnaise - 200
    Brazil nuts - 185
    French fried onions - 180
    Fried pork rinds - 175
    Mixed nuts - 170
    Cashews (shelled) - 170
    Cocktail peanuts - 170
    Sunflower seeds (shelled) - 170
    Pringles - 170
    Peanut Butter - 166
    Almond Roca - 163
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Waterproof / Water resist your down

After a trip to Sea Isle a few weeks ago in February, the heavy rain revealed my LL Bean down jacket did not have waterproof/water resistant qualities. When we got to the condo I ran it thru the dryer and knew I had to do something about it.

Now is a good time to waterproof your down outside! First pick a day that is not raining or windy and make sure you have a better than normal respirator with an exhale valve

Spray at a 2 foot distance and do not inhale
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast