WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

GoldenBear

1. Manchester to Bennington - Part 1

As noted in the previous blog entry, I have imposed some restrictions on where I can hike. To cover my miles, I must-
    1) return home within a week.
    2) cover not much more than ten miles a day.
    3) stay at a shelter or established campground.
    4) get to both trail heads via mass transit; or between trail heads with minimal shuttling.

As I already covered all miles between Rockfish Gap and the Vermont border, travel between home and any trail head requires ...

Updated 09-19-2013 at 16:21 by GoldenBear

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Over Mount Bascom, thanks to Shuttle

For wimpy backpackers like me, one of the problems of hiking the A.T. are the long climbs up (and down!) the mountains. In particular, those parts of the Trail that deliberately go to the top of the highest mountain around. And most specifically, places like Mount Greylock in Massachusetts – going from elevations of 990 feet to 3491 feet to 900 feet, all in a distance of thirteen miles. Real backpackers generally have no problem with these kinds of elevation changes, but I do!

For ...
    Tags: bascom, greylock Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Too muddy, too muggy, too buggy - Part 4

As noted earlier, my plan for Day 4 of this trek was to get from Governor Clement Shelter (GCS) at least to Highway 4 near Killington before (about) 6:10pm – since the last bus for Rutland leaves Killington just after that time.
    http://www.thebus.com/pdf/schedules/DXSummer2013.pdf
    These two pdf maps
    http://www.vtstateparks.com/pdfs/coolidge_hiking.pdf
    http://www.mountainmeadowslodge.com/...apandGuide.pdf
    showed me that I had a lot of potential trouble ...

Updated 07-21-2013 at 23:41 by GoldenBear

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Too muddy, too muggy, too buggy -- Part 3

As noted earlier, my goal of fifty miles in four days meant I would have to hike fifteen miles on two of these days, and ten miles on the other two. Since Day 1 had featured an exhausting fifteen miles, I decided to make Day 2 a much more modest ten miles. This meant a stop at Greenwall Shelter (GwS), with an outside chance of getting to the Minerva Hinchey Shelter (MHS). Because I planned today being almost a recovery day from yesterday’s exhausting hike, I allowed myself to make a “late” start ...

Updated 07-21-2013 at 23:39 by GoldenBear

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Too muddy, too muggy, too buggy -- Part 2

The driver for Manchester Taxi, even if he didn't "gladly" accept credit cards -- indeed, he didn't take them at all -- quickly got to the trail head just east of Manchester Center, along Highway 11/30. There's a significant creek there, so the fact that I had lost the water in my Platypus-brand water holder (long story) simply meant I would need to use my filter to refill it. I also took a minute or so to realize where the Trail went to, but began my trek at about the 8:30a departure ...

Updated 07-21-2013 at 23:33 by GoldenBear

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast