WhiteBlaze Pages
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$10 for printed copy(paperback). $6 for interactive PDF. $2 for printable PDF.
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

GoldenBear

1. Hold the presses! We need a re-write on this blog!

On the last day of my four-day section hike, with less than seven more miles to go on my 28 mile journey, I “knew” what I was going to write in my blog about this trek. It was going to be (pretty much) a repeat of one the themes I’ve used over the years: that the hike was quite uneventful, but that fact was due to having the same qualities of an expert pilot. Specifically, just as good aviators make their plans based on the weather, equipment, and skills actually present & available, they almost ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. It's been a while, hasn't it?

My records show that I have not done back-packing on the A.T. since July of 2019. That's a long time! Last year I did get in some day hikes on The Trail, but the total distance was a mere 18.6 miles. This last week I got just under 13 miles in about 48 hours of finding out my trail legs have lost quite a bit of zip.

My planning continues to be (1) driving to that point on the A.T. that I have not yet hiked, (2) parking to this Point A, (3) getting a shuttle from Point A to Point B, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Filling in a gap, and adding a few more miles

As my previous post from this year noted, I've been hampered in any attempt to get on The Trail in 2020. Still, last week I managed to (1) fill in a four-mile gap that I had previously let slip through and (2) get more miles within Great Smoky Mountains National Park (GSMNP). Nothing major, even for me, but it was a few more miles.

Previous section hikes have ended at Greasy Creek Gap and begun at Iron Mountain Gap. That left 4.2 miles of the A.T. that I had left un-walked, and I ...
  4. It wasn't much -- but it was SOMETHING

I'm far from alone in having had plans for hiking on the A.T. this year disrupted by Covid-19. My home state of Pennsylvania, for example, strongly urges people who travel to Covid hot-spots to quarantine for 14 days after returning. And New England states require such a quarantine for any visitor from outside the area. Thus, travels to those parts of The Trail I want to walk on will require quite a bit of quarantine.
    In addition, my mother's long journey with dementia ended this last month, ...
  5. Blessed to avoid trouble! (Part 2)

My original plan was to use the next day to hike up the south side of Moosilauke, having done the north side a few years ago. However, fearful of the well-publicized difficulty of this hike
    whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=63234
    http://www.northeasthikes.com/hike-m...r-brook-trail/
    and the fact that I knew my legs already tired from vertical walking, I decided to spend the morning shopping for Shuttle’s birthday; and then do a simple, one-hour up and one-hour ...
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast