WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Comments

good stuff. you're never too old if you can stand back up after falling down.
    Great story. Glad you made out ok.
    This is an absolutely wonderful narrative. I am so glad I found it. A very wise person once told me, "your level of competence is directly proportional to your mistakes." Thank you for your honesty and candor.
    Thanks for the post!
    I've been dreading some of the northern areas of the AT. Like you, I can hike a fair distance UNLESS changes in altitude rear their ugly heads. I found I could out-pace my hiking partners (not that I did) on the flats earlier this month on the AT in Virginia. I could just keep going, without feeling fatigue or pain, and I had to be asked to stop for rests!
    As soon as any elevation would kick in, it was a whole 'nother ball game. I end up having to stop & rest & let my heart rate stabilize every 50 feet in elevation or so, and let my lungs "catch up". My speed drops from around 2.2 to less than 1 mph.

If you figure out a great way to train for the mountains, drop us all a note! I've started jogging on treadmills (I travel for a living... lots of time in hotels) but I'm not sure that will be sufficient.

Great post with some good info. Thanks again.
    --Tedinski
    Then don't even consider the Whites. In comparison, Greylock was a breeze.
    When Snacktime, Strife and I were on our CT section hike (May 18-21), we met a NOBO thruhiker called Aloha who'd left Springer on Feb 27, We were quite surprised anyone had gotten that far that fast.
    Out of curiosity....did anyone "second" the nomination?
    I'm going to be doing the same thing starting the 16th of May. Have a 7 day shake down hike planned. So looing forward to it.
    Goldenbear, thank you so much for your excellent post. Success teaches us nothing, only failure teaches. You have done a great service in sharing your story.
    My first overnight hike included a couple of mountains on the AT in NH, setting up the tent (with two other guys) in a swamp right on the trail in a sleet storm, and spending half the next day making it 1.7 miles to the shelter over icy rocks.

You are not alone!
    this is a very cool story and experience, i never hiked anything, i think u are full of emotions when hike is successful =)
    Updated 07-29-2011 at 05:59 by PatrickStefenson
    white tornado(tn)
    i hike week trips and wonder if u have any cool tool and gagets you could tell me about
    You don't carry a headlamp???? You crazy!!!
    Hint: If you sleep in shelters, carry a mousetrap!
    Mouser