WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

GoldenBear

1. Maybe I actually DID need Guthook on this overnight!

For my first AT hike of this year I decided to do a wimpy, twenty-mile, one-night trek along a stretch that is a gap in my walks along The Trail: Iron Mountain Gap back to Uncle Johnny's. Since I accept the fact that I'm not going to hike significantly faster than a mile an hour nor much more than about ten miles in a day*, I looked for a place about half-way between these two spots. Both the Thru-Hikers' Companion and the 2018 edition of the AT Data Book state that Beauty Spot Gap has water and ...

Updated 06-20-2019 at 18:23 by GoldenBear

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. 2018 will NOT be a complete wash-out!

In late June of this year, as the knee on which I had surgery done six years began to hurt in the exact way it hurt prior to that surgery, I feared that another round of surgery would all but ruin my chances for major miles this year. As my last hike -- one that was, by design, ridiculously short -- resulted in LESS pain in my knee, I decided to do some real (for me at least) hiking.

Living in the Philly area means it takes over a day of driving to get to places I've haven't hiked ...

Updated 08-11-2018 at 22:41 by GoldenBear

Categories
    Uncategorized