WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

DBCFlash

1. Limestone Spring Shelter

Once we cleared the snow field, we started looking for our stay for the night. The sign indicated Limestone Spring Shelter was .5 miles down the blue blazes. It didn't say we had to climb down wet, steep rocks 300 feet to get there. I was pretty tired and my legs were almost trembling as I pushed down the precarious ledge. I spent so much time staring at my next footing that I nearly missed the amazing waterfall to my right. There were still huge ice blocks scattered along the waters edge. The trail ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. The thumb and other stuff.

After a couple of hours, we approached a very odd sight. A limestone monolith in a well cleared circle just sitting right in the trail. It appeared rather alien and someone had even placed a couple of stool sized logs beside it, I suppose, for meditation, or worship or maybe just sitting down for a break. This was "The Thumb" atop Raccoon Hill. We stopped, took a couple of pictures and passed on by, contemplating this oddity. My favorite theory involves space-aliens, but I won't digress ...

Updated 03-21-2011 at 15:44 by DBCFlash (add picture)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. My First footprints on the AT

Finally hit the trail, after weeks of planning. Dropped my car at Bulls Bridge Ct. and drove to the AT lot at Undermountain Rd. (CT41). Parked the car and put my 45 pound pack on "for real" this time. Saw my first white blaze, crossed the road and I was hiking!
    The first quarter mile was covered in old, icy packed snow. I adjusted my pack (first of a thousand adjustments) and trekked on.
    Yellow blazed along hwy 44 then started up Barrack Matiff. I was surprised by the steepness ...

Updated 03-21-2011 at 15:43 by DBCFlash (add picture)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Breaking in my shoes

Spent this rainy day breaking in my hiking shoes in preparation for my section hike on Friday. Wore my brand new Merrell Refuge all day in a solid rain, crossing lawns, climbing stairs, wading through gutters, slogging through mud and carrying heavy loads. I'm a mailman by trade and I have to say, this is the best my feet have ever felt after a long rainy day. My toes were completely dry all day and my heels only got a little wet as the rainwater wicked from my pants to my socks and gradually down ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Early hike across Connecticut

Looks like we're going to cross Connecticut North to South March 18th thru 21st. With temps expected in the 40's daytime and the 20's (possibly the teens!) at night, it should be a serious test of my gear and my resolve. Still need to get a lightweight tent and some new trail shoes, but otherwise I have most of what I need ( I think ).
    Three nights is all I can get out of work right now, but it should be a great way to start my new affair with the AT.
    My partner likes the shelters, so ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast