WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Another Kevin

1. A sweaty hiker helps facilitate butterfly sex

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Believe it or not, the title of this post is 100% serious! Rather than repeat the whole post here, I'll just refer you all to http://dftscript.blogspot.com/2013/0...butterfly.html to understand the connection between the two, at least for this particular butterfly:

Hoary Comma butterfly, Polygonia Gracilis by ke9tv, on Flickr

An awesome encounter with a small bit
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Technology on the trail article

Journnaling this so I can find it again...

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I suspect when I do my next long hike (at least two weeks with a resupply is my own personal definition), I suspect I may take a smart device but leave it off / disconnected except in town. I did take a pocketmail many moons ago writing article for the local paper...would not be functionally that different.

The key is how it is used IMO.

But, there is no real clear cut "correct" answer...nor should there
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. ORS directions, so I don't lose them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Obviously is working for the 14 year old.....
    Nothing is guaranteed.

With Norovirus, filtration is virtually guaranteed not to work; even for a virus, Norovirus is small. Halogenation works well, so Polar Pure, Micropur, Aqua Mira, or anything along those lines will be quite effective in eliminating it from water. There isn't a lot of literature about UV treatment and Norovirus.

One problem with Norovirus is that if it's a variety that induces really violent
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Water treatment information, journaled so that I can find it again.

There are a lot of threads on the subject here on WB. What is both popular and fairly safe:

Aqua Mira drops. These are chlorine dioxide, not elemental chlorine. Used as directed, they are effective against viruses, bacteria, Entamoeba, Giardia, Cryptosporidium. (The literature is somewhat spotty about ClO2 and Cryptosporidium.) They are extremely lightweight. The disadvantage is that for extensive travel, they're more expensive than the other solutions, and you can't drink right away
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Advice to a newbir about a lot of things, journaled so that I can find it again

These are all frequently asked questions - I bet that your problem is that there are too many answers to choose from. It comes down at some point to "hike your own hike." Hikers go on and on about gear, but you don't have to have the latest or most lightweight stuff to have fun out there. In fact, it might be a mistake to try to have the lightest-weight high-tech everything. It's probably better to get some experience with a heavier pack and a heavier wallet until you know your own hiking
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2