WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

smsinnh

1. 4/8 Zero day in Erwin TN (see new link below RE: Last Post on WhiteBlaze..)

What a difference a day off the trail makes. Today was a total down day where I just kicked back and relaxed. Caught up with some old friends and made a few new ones. The stomach virus has now extended over 200 miles up and down the trail and was the main topic of conversation. Thankfully it seems to be running its course and things can get back to normal. Today temps topped out at 81 with blue skies and sunshine. Will be hitting the trail tomorrow at first light for the 75 mile hike to Hampton, ...

Updated 04-09-2013 at 07:16 by smsinnh

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. 4/7 Erwin TN Actually felt good enough to eat Mexican last night! Hiker hunger won

April 7th: Hiked the short 5.8 miles from no business shelter to Uncle Johnny's Hiker Hostel in Erwin, TN.
    Like every hostel I have stayed at, the people are super hiker friendly.
    Got a shuttle into town with 5 of my thru-hiker buddies where we went to Walmart for resupply and a Mexican Restaurant for dinner. My stomach held up amazing well. Although I feel much better I'm still wiped out so I will follow the path of common sense and take the zero day tomorrow as planned. Will hit ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. 4/6 Stomach bug on the trail near Erwin TN Not fun........

April 6th: Hiked from the mountain meadow to No Business Knob Shelter for a total of 16.6 miles. 335.7 miles hiked, 1850.2 to go

Today was absolutely grueling. Word began filtering down the trail yesterday that a stomach bug is running rampant in this part of the trail and wouldn't you know, yours truly began experiencing the symptoms last night. By today, I couldn't hold any food down but I was hell bent on making a good run to Erwin, TN the next trail town in striking distance ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. 4/5 Mountain Top Meadow

April 5th: Today I hiked 18.8 miles from Jerry Cabin Shelter to a mountain top meadow with killer views.
    Cool night in the shelter last night but at least it was dry. All of the trees were encased in ice from yesterday's storm and all night long you could hear branches crashing to the ground due to the extra weight.
    What a difference have a day makes. The first half of the day was cool and fogg...y with light rain but in the afternoon the sun came out and made a pleasant day for ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. 4/4 Enough w the Snow and Ice!

Finally got a signal today so here is my day late update from 4/4. 9.3 m to Gerry Cabin Shelter. Total of 300.3, 1885 to go. Woke up at 2am to high wind, my own hacking cough. Tossed and turned while my tent got pelted w leaf litter. Rain in the forecast so I,along w everyone else, will be heading for the shelters. They fill up fast so hope for room at the inn. Started at first light in the rain... which turned to snow, sleet and ice at the higher elevations. I was looking to make 3rd shelter ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast