WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Comments

Quote Originally Posted by ComptonAT
    I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this to you, but I read Appalachian Trials - it's a great book that will help you be aware of what you need to do to prepare mentally. It's a very short book and has some tips to help you. My husband and I will be starting our thru hike March 2nd and I am taking parts of the book with me, as missing my family will also be a huge hurdle. Good luck!
    Thank you for the suggestion I have read many books about the trail. My wife is letting me go but she is not happy with it at all this is what makes the whole trip so hard. Wish there were a book that could help her understand the passion I feel for this hike.
    I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this to you, but I read Appalachian Trials - it's a great book that will help you be aware of what you need to do to prepare mentally. It's a very short book and has some tips to help you. My husband and I will be starting our thru hike March 2nd and I am taking parts of the book with me, as missing my family will also be a huge hurdle. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Airman
    Why not just start hiking and go as far as you can. Why put pressure on yourself to finish to prove a point. If you are not enjoying it, then what?
    Why not just go as far as I can and quit. Well the best answer I have is when I joined the Marines I wanted to be a Marine and that meant going through eleven weeks of training. During that eleven weeks there were trials were some did quit and today they will never know how It feels theday United States Marine was earned. Is walking 2000 plus miles equal to becoming a Marine most likely not, but we are not talking about just walking weare talking about being away from those we love and going thru hardships for no good reason other than to reach a goal only a few can comprehend. How I’m I going to know if I quit or at least not giving it my best effort?
    Why not just start hiking and go as far as you can. Why put pressure on yourself to finish to prove a point. If you are not enjoying it, then what?
    The thought of quit frightens me.
    Thanks. I hear alot of people talk about the mental part of the hike. I will keep the WHY I am hiking in the back of my mind when I feel like throwing in the towel.
    Congrats on the weight loss, keep it going.

Those that dont feel the call of long trail hiking, just dont understand.

The only thing you need to get you all the way, is between your ears.
    A thru hike is just smaller hikes all strung close together. Take it one piece at a time.
    It is as much a mental challenge, as a physical one.
    Expect to lose the desire from time to time. Thats what deprivation and pain does
    Just need to keep remind yourself WHY you wanted it in the first place.
    Best Wishes for a safe and enjoyable adventure.
    gear,money, time and the determination
    has a better chance of completion.
    i would like to. probably after the first.
    Just 30 more pounds and I think I should be in good shape for the hike. Thanks!! Danl you still coming to Mayfield?
    congrats on your weight loss.
    Congrats on the weight loss. That is fantastic. Sounds like the preparations are going well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blissful
    That makes it tough sticking to such a stringent schedule. Hope it works out.

Going to do my best, got the gear, money, time and the desire. Just cannot control other unforeseen circumstances.
    Updated 12-08-2012 at 19:04 by Sman
    That makes it tough sticking to such a stringent schedule. Hope it works out.
    Quote Originally Posted by wren again
    I'm also from WI and have found the Ice Age Trail in the Northern Kettle Moraine, south of GlenBeulah, to have some nice long ups and downs. They weren't comparable to mountains in Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia on the section hikes we've done, but were a nice start. Did you enjoy the Merrimac area? (I thought the Devil's Lake Bluff climb (west side of the lake) and Roche A Cri climb are also good practice.) Best of luck to you! I look forward to reading about your adventure.

Missed the hike, had to come back to Kentucky early. But I am still walking and planning some good day hikes ( 11 miles ) at LBL here where I live. From what I read about Devil's bluff, wish I could have made it.
    I'm also from WI and have found the Ice Age Trail in the Northern Kettle Moraine, south of GlenBeulah, to have some nice long ups and downs. They weren't comparable to mountains in Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia on the section hikes we've done, but were a nice start. Did you enjoy the Merrimac area? (I thought the Devil's Lake Bluff climb (west side of the lake) and Roche A Cri climb are also good practice.) Best of luck to you! I look forward to reading about your adventure.
    Quote Originally Posted by slowandeasydoesit
    I didn't know anything about this places until now. I have been talking with people at http://www.facebook.com/ATClass2013?fref=ts and I have been doing my journal at http://www.trailjournals.com/slowandeasydoesit There is no big hills around me. So I hope all we are doing going to help us make it. We are starting 1st of March.

I belive your name says it all for us Slow and Easy, what every we do now I don't think will hurt even with out big hills. My start date as of right now is March 18th on a monday. Good luck and I hope to see you on the trail.
    You can do it. I'm trying to loss as well. But what I'm doing is just cutting down my size I eat and it coming off slow. Hope to be down 20-30 lbs by March. http://www.trailjournals.com/slowandeasydoesit Take care.
    I didn't know anything about this places until now. I have been talking with people at http://www.facebook.com/ATClass2013?fref=ts and I have been doing my journal at http://www.trailjournals.com/slowandeasydoesit There is no big hills around me. So I hope all we are doing going to help us make it. We are starting 1st of March.
    Quote Originally Posted by fire_maker
    Sman,

I've been enoying your posts and find myself getting as excited as you. It's nice hearing about the same woes that I'm experiencing. Thanks for being a motivation to me and good luck with your walks. Look forward to hearing more about them

It is good to know someone is reading this stuff, keeping on track is hard I feel for you. Wish you luck on your prep and your hike. Thanks for your comment.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast