WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Nick P

1. 2014 Katahdin Stream Campground questions answered

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    The name of the mountain is Katahdin, the summit is Baxter Peak.
    Share - the bus ride, the shuttle, the campsite - save $, make friends.
    Your bus gets in many miles away from the Park at 7:30 at night. You are not going to camp in the Park that night.
    Contact the AT Lodge about their MEGA deal, they'll pick you up at the bus stop, put you up for the night, and take you to KSC the next morning.
    It's really a good deal.

Watch the snow melt here: http://www.neoc.com/webcam/twin-pine...am-camera1.php
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. AT Experience Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    In the idea of a bucket list, what places on and off the trail should be considered essential to the AT experience? I don't mean for a thru-hiker, but for anyone interested in getting an appreciation for the AT. This could include hikes, (easy, hard, ridiculous), views, shelters, hostels, towns, individuals/legends....anything that should be checked off on a list with the heading:

I'll never hike all of the Appalachian Trail, but I've gotten to see:

....and yes,
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. South Cheaha Wilderness Loop 12.18.13

Quote Originally Posted by Matt65 View Post
    Completed a day hike yesturday of the South Cheaha Wilderness Loop. I opted for a Clockwise Turnip to Turnip loop via Chinnabee/Pinhoti/Skyway/Chinnabee Trails.

We left the Turnipseed parking area at 6:30am wearing Bright Orange for the Hunters and proceeded the climb up to the Pinhoti. I'm guessing the temp was high 20s, low 30sF. The incline kept me very warm. The trail was marked well to the camp, but as we reached the rocky section markers were limited. Trail path could be distinguised
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Cuben fiber food bags?

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Don't leave your food bag open. Not a good idea at all. Learn to hang it in a way that the critters won't get to it easily, like the PCT method. It's much easier than it seems at first glance, and it will work with pretty much any bag. A roll top waterproof bag is great, since it keeps all your food dry. Lots of people use the S2S bag for food.

I use a Zpacks Blast food bag. I own two of them -- great bags. Very well made, and as MW says they fit very well inside my Circuit pack. In
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Cuben fiber food bags?

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Don't leave your food bag open. Not a good idea at all. Learn to hang it in a way that the critters won't get to it easily, like the PCT method. It's much easier than it seems at first glance, and it will work with pretty much any bag. A roll top waterproof bag is great, since it keeps all your food dry. Lots of people use the S2S bag for food.

I use a Zpacks Blast food bag. I own two of them -- great bags. Very well made, and as MW says they fit very well inside my Circuit pack. In
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast