WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

My wife and I are planning to thru hike the AT in 2017

Helping my wife with her bucket list. Surviving and thriving with diabetes. Accomplishing more together than we could on our own. I can't believe we are actually planning to do this!!

1. Type 1 Diabetes and "CURES"

by , 05-19-2014 at 04:48 (My wife and I are planning to thru hike the AT in 2017)
    I keep getting messages on reversing my diabetes.

PLEASE STOP IT!

I am a type 1 diabetic. This means my pancreas make zero, none, zilch, nada insulin. There is NO PILL that can fix MY diabetes.

If you are a type 2 diabetic please change your lifestyle, lose the weight, exercise more, eat the good food, stop eating the bad and you can reverse your diabetes. Diabetes is ONE disease with TWO CAUSES.

It is beyond the scope of this blog to discuss ...
  2. A day in the life....

by , 05-17-2014 at 21:04 (My wife and I are planning to thru hike the AT in 2017)

Went hiking with 27 pounds on my back. We went a little over 6 miles. Wow! I got quite the workout today. Plus the raking and mowing of the yard.

For those who are curious my blood sugar log went like this:

5:53am (I slept way late!)116I took 28units lantus and 5 units for a 75 carb breakfast plus 2 extra units because I always spike 2 hours after I get up.

7:35am ...
  3. A couple of little things...

by , 05-17-2014 at 21:02 (My wife and I are planning to thru hike the AT in 2017)

Mrs. Otter is such a trooper. Dental work done on Friday (tooth extraction and crown work), a rest day for Saturday and a 6 mile hike with a weighted pack (20# for mine 10# for hers) and then she felt crappy the rest of the day. We’ve got to learn pacing I guess.

Went to endocrinologist and gained 5 pounds in the last 4 months. Wonderful….(that is sarcasm…)

Now Friday was a very crappy day. I packed my lunch ...
  4. Backpacking in the Rain!!!

by , 05-03-2014 at 16:28 (My wife and I are planning to thru hike the AT in 2017)

Karen and I have noticed that the THOUGHT of leaving and hiking the AT in 3 years is very powerful. When the day turns bad and things go wrong we find our minds taking a strange turn and thinking about leaving this situation behind and walking out of this life and into another life where these current things and problems are not so important, where your needs are reduced to the real essentials and even those are sketchy, tenuous, and fluid, changing from minute to minute.Are ...
  5. What else can cause a change in my Blood Sugar Readings?

by , 05-01-2014 at 04:44 (My wife and I are planning to thru hike the AT in 2017)

What, other than food, can affect my blood sugars?

Living

If I wasn’t living I wouldn’t have diabetes.

Also known as STRESS

I learned this after 14 days with no power in the Great Ice Storm of 1989. One week after normalcy was restored my blood sugars would not go down. I kept an appointment with my diabetes educator and she relayed to me that all her diabetic patients were dealing with the same ...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast