WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. My training for 2015, Training Day 18 - 21

Training Day 18 - 21: June 27 - 30
    I decided last weekend was the time to start hiking for real. With the equipment already listed, 4 days food, merino wool long under layer, a compression shirt and a spare pair of liner socks, I set out on Friday afternoon with a total pack weight of about 40 pounds. I would have preferred to start earlier in the day, but I was depending on a ride to a bus that goes to the trail. By the time I got to the trail the temp was in the 90’s.

Updated 06-30-2014 at 21:33 by lordwilliam

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. My training for 2015, Training Day 17

Training Day 17: June 25
    Well I have assembled a collection of “Old School” equipment just to experience a weighted pack. I took the loaded pack out for a test spin yesterday for about 4 miles and it worked acceptably.

Equipment includes:

1. 20+ year old EMS 4500 pack, 7.75 pounds
    2. 40+ year old Holubar synthetic mummy bag, 4 pounds
    3. 1 year old Walmart tent, 3 pounds
    4. 60 year old Coleman Peak 1 cook pot set, .75 pound
    5. 40 year old EFI (Hank Roberts) stove,
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. My training for 2015, Training Day 16

Training Day 16: June 14
    Today I hiked from Palmer Lake, CO to the reservoirs and then a couple of miles past on a jeep trail.
    I had a 28 pound pack which made the first 4 miles seem like 10 because it was all up hill. Coming back down hill was also a little tricky due to all the loose feldspar on the trail. The temp was in the low 80’s when I started out but dropped into the upper 50’s by the time I finished. There was a nice camp site about 2.5 miles up the trail and I may just ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. My training for 2015, Training Day 15

Training Day 15: June 12

Today I did my first walk with a loaded pack. I found an old EMS Luggage Pack in my daughter’s back yard, covered in mud and leaves. I hosed it off and adjusted it to fit. I packed it yesterday with a 2 man tent from Walmart, my 35 year old Holubar sleeping bag which compresses to a neat 10” X 6” 3.2 pound bundle. I also packed my Hank Roberts stove in an old Coleman Peak 1 nesting pot container. I also packed a bunch of cloths and a couple of liters of ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. My training for 2015, Training Day 14

Training Day 14 June 8
    Today was a good day for a walk. Starting temp 57 at 11:30 am. Walked 35000+ steps which is about 16 miles. Ending temp 42 at 6:13pm. Walked to the grocery store again. This is getting to be a regular thing. When I was about a mile from the store a very kind lady stopped her car and ask if I wanted a ride. I told her I was training for the Appalachian Trail and needed to train in adverse weather. Oh, by the way it was driving rain and there were 3 tornado warnings ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast