WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

bettybadass

1. Training

Every year about this time when the weather starts to break I start to do two things. 1) Watch Youtube videos of people starting their through hikes. 2) Train so that I can do my smaller hikes...

Last year I had some setbacks. Family obligations and serious blister issues kept me from achieving the real miles that I had wanted. That's ok. 2017 is a new year, and I am going to make it work for me.

This year I am going to plan smaller hikes more frequent hikes to get started. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Training for the AT- Hiking with a Pack

Today was my first weighted pack hike. I weighed down an old back pack with 25lbs of weights and 2L of water, for a total weight over 30lbs. I headed out along the roads, which here in backwoods Pennsylvania means that all the roads are VERY hilly. For a first time, I am pretty proud. Here are my results. 5.49 miles in 1:53:36 hrs burned roughly 885 calories. (According to my fitbit)

This makes for an average of roughly 3.0 mph. So for a 15 mile day I will be hiking for 5 hours and ...
    Tags: 1'", 1ˤˢ Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Planning My Hike

I have been secretly wanting to hike the AT for about 10 years. Since then I have been dreaming of and working towards a time when I would actually be able to make that desire a reality. Last year I achieved the level at work which would give me the financial means and time off to actually begin.

There is always that desire to complete the entire trail at once, but I have to be realistic in my plans. I am going to break the trail down into manageable sections over the next 5-10 years. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Western Maryland Rail Trail

As part of my new quest to find the EPIC in my life, I have reached out to find new things to do in my area to prepare for my trip on the AT. This past Sunday 6/29/14 I made a trip to Big Pool Maryland to ride on the Western Maryland Rail Trail (WMRT) all the way to Hancock Maryland.

The Western MD Rail Trail is 21 miles (or so) long and is located right along Interstate 70 in Central Maryland. It is a very easy jump over to the C & O Canal which runs parallel across the Potomac ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Something Missing...

Hello all, I am a 34 yr old female. Here’s what I am noticing in my life. I have DONE all of the things that a woman is supposed to do. I am mother of handsome 5yr old boy- who's just about to start kindergarten. I just got a promotion in my full time job with supervisory responsibilities that more than pays for the bills without my husband’s support. I have my Bachelor degree. I have my own home in my own name. I started a business, which is mildly successful at least enough to make sure that my ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized