WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Kaptainkriz

1. Wildcat D to Carter Notch Hut – Wildcat Ridge Trail from Pinkham Notch – Day 1

This was a three-day Appalachian Trail section hike from Pinkham Notch / NH-16 to the Rattle River trailhead on US-2. We stayed overnight at the AMC Joe Dodge Lodge and hiked via the Wildcat Ridge Trail to the Carter-Moriah Trail and the Rattle River Trail. Day 1 plan was to get over the Wildcats and stay overnight at the Carter Notch Hut. The trail up Wildcat D is extremely steep and is listed on the NH Terrifying 25 list: https://www.theterrifying25.com/ ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Apple Orchard Falls, Guillotine, Thunder Hill Shelter, and "The Guardian Frog"

This was an outstanding hike. The parking at Sunset Field on the Blue Ridge Parkway is quite large, but also popular. Despite it being foggy, it was very crowded. The hike down to the falls is about 1.3 miles and well worth the descent down ~147 stars near the bottom. The falls are extremely tall and beautiful. You can walk right up to the base of them. There is an upper cascade a couple tenths of a mile before the platform at the end that is also ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. I finish up PA hiking across Cumberland Valley to Boiling Springs

On this hike, I finally finished up PA! This section between Cove Mountain and Boiling Springs was completed as a number of day hikes and overnights. The 1st day, I slacked from the Parking at PA850 up Cove Mountain and back (10.5 miles). After that I drove over to the parking near Waggoners Gap just outside the Parking at Audubon Hawk Watch and hiked 0.9 miles South on the Tuscarora Trail to the Charlie Irvin Shelter for the night. It rained a little ...
  4. Rice Field Shelter – Pine Swamp Branch Shelter – Angels Rest Hiker’s Haven

Had an opportunity to go on another quick section. This time I went South to Pearisburg to hike up to the Rice Field Shelter. I’ve been wanting to do this for a while on a cool clear day to see the sunset. This trip did not disappoint! After a long drive down, I chose to stay overnight at Angels Rest Hiker’s Haven (hostel / campground). They were very well organized and the facilities were clean and the people there were awesome. I’d highly recommend ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Hike from Long Mountain Wayside to Cow Camp Gap – A-6 Intruder Wreckage

Quick video of the hike from Long Mountain Wayside on Route 60 up over Bald Knob (not bald) to the intersection with the Old Hotel Trail to Cow Camp Gap. On the front half is 1986' elevation gain in 2.8 miles, all up, relentless. We went off trail around mile 3.3 to find some aircraft wreckage from an A-6 Intruder that went down there. We were successful! For those interested, the coordinates are here: N37° 44.635' W79° 13.220' The trail is dry along ...

Updated 09-24-2020 at 14:35 by Kaptainkriz

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast