WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. Pine Grove Furnace State Park to Toms Run and Birch Run Shelter

This was a great hike ~20 miles one way from Pine Grove Furnace State Park to Caledonia State Park. We stopped half way at Birch Run Shelter. Parking is plentiful at Pine Grove Furnace. To park overnight, you need to fill out a pass which is available in the plastic box next to the front door of the office. The pass goes in the mail slot after you fill it out. Parking is just down the hill and there is a restroom right there where the Appalachian ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Caledonia State Park to Rocky Mountain and Tumbling Run Shelters

Continuing my sections and starting to migrate North again now that I've almost finished SNP. This was a great hike ~22 miles in and out from Caledonia State Park to Tumbling Run Shelters. There is not really any good water source between these two points on the AT. The guide says there is water 0.5 miles downhill at Rocky Mountain shelters but it was too far for me to investigate given the time I had. The tent sites are a hundred yards or so downhill ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Beagle Gap – Calf Mountain Hut and Spring – Shenandoah National Park

The view at Little Calf Mountain is outstanding, as is the easy 1 mile hike to it from Beagle Gap. There is ample parking at the Beagle Gap parking area in-between mile posts 99 and 100 on Skyline Drive in SNP. There is no view at the Calf Mountain Summit but there is a disc inset marker just south of a large rock pile marking the summit. The distance from the parking to the rock pile is ~1.8 miles. I thought the shelter was a lot closer (it is, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Paul C. Wolfe Shelter – Appalachian Trail – Albright Loop Trail

Happy New Year! Another 3 miles down (and back) - 1991.8 to go! This was a quick 2 day hike where I wanted to get some practice in very cold conditions again. The weather did not disappoint, it was 1°F! I parked at the Humpback Rocks parking area on the Blueridge Parkway and hiked a short 3.6 miles to the Paul C. Wolfe Shelter to set up camp. Total loop distance, including down to the shelter, is 6.4 miles. The shelter has great water and privy. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Blackrock Summit, Hut, and Spring - Shenandoah National Park

This is the section south of the Falls over Blackrock Summit and to the Hut. Blackrock hut is nondescript and has an unreliable water source. I liked the area anyway and the surrounding hikes over Blackrock and around Doyles River Falls and Jones Run Falls are very good! Distance hiked this weekend was 14.2 miles.

Updated 11-23-2017 at 09:20 by Kaptainkriz

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast