WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. Day 3 (3/5) -- Healing Day

Before I hit the hay at 7:30 last night I knew I was taking a zero day today. I was too tired last night to do any laundry, and I knew it would be best to give my heel a full day and a half of air for healing purposes. Best of all -- my wife said she would drive to the hostel, we would then head into Dahlonega for lunch together.
    My morning was a good hot breakfast, two loads of laundry, and also had time to catch a movie on DVD with Bailey, another hiker staying at The Hiker Hostel, she's ...

Updated 03-06-2016 at 06:48 by Three-Jack

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Day 2 (3/4) -- Cement Packs

As soon as we got up we knew we were in for a long day -- everything soaked. Luckily my sleeping pad is 3" thick so my down sleepin bag stayed pretty dry (maybe 10% got wet, but I could dry that out). But I laid all my damp clothes from the snow just above my head on the tent floor as there was nowhere else to place them. They ended up in a pool of water. The rest of my gear was soaked from the snow the night before, snow seemed to have gotten into everything while we were setting up the tents. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Days 1 -- Snow and Drenched Gear

Day 1 (3/3) -- after a sleepless night for me because of anticipation for the hike, John and I drove up to the parking lot just north of Springer, hiked south one mile to the southern terminus with our wives, tagged up and headed back north to begin the hike.
    Within the hour we got our first taste of trail magic. The kind from up above -- an incredible snowfall that you could not have ordered up any better. It didn't stop all day. It was a pretty amazing experience ... Until we got about 45 ...

Updated 03-06-2016 at 06:38 by Three-Jack

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. All Systems Go

Checked with my buddy John who is joining me for the first 11 days. He confirmed he’s ready to go, rain or shine. Barring any last minute unexpected situations for either of us — we’re now in “all systems go” mode for 3/1.

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Blood Mountain

Hiked from Vogel to summit of Blood Mtn yesterday. A lot of ice on top 1/3 of mountain, especially at peak. Have now gotten in LeConte (to Icewater Springs), the Unicoi trifecta (Rocky, Tray, and then Rocky again to get back to the car), Blood a number of times, Springer a couple of times. Heading off to Cohutta this Saturday AM for a weekend hike. Excited to start counting down.
    Categories
    Uncategorized