WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

MadRanger

1. SNP Ridge Runner Blissful's Unsolicited and Ill-Informed Opinion

On 04 July, while descending from Mary’s Rock in the SNP, Jax Dad encountered ridge runner Ms. Bliss. Following mutual greetings of “Happy Fourth of July”, she commented on his red, white and blue equipment/garb and proceeded to examine his gear from a distance of several feet. A discussion then ensued about his trail experience to date. In that discussion Jax Dad remarked that he found the hike pure drudgery; it was one step after another with little opportunity to observe more than where the next ...

Updated 03-09-2019 at 10:11 by MadRanger

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Last Mile

I rejoined the trail on 01 June following yet an other injury - big toe tendinitis that led to new boots that led to PF that led to new boots that created arch issues that led to new boots: Lowa made in Germany and purchased at REI in Atlanta. Mixed in that calendar sequence was my father's funeral and minor surgery. All totaled a whopping 81-days off trail.
    i resumed the hike at Uncle Johnny's hostel and carried on for a total of 126 hiking days. All was chronicled at https://hikewithjaxdad.wordpress.com/. ...

Updated 12-15-2018 at 12:20 by MadRanger

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Restart at the NOC

After leaving Amicalola Falls on 04 February, I am restarting my AT thru at the NOC on 27 February. Why?

I managed to complete 137 miles (plus the dang 9-mile approach trail) in 10 days. I shared the first seven of those days with Polka Dot. The last three nights I shared shelters with Young Blood. Unfortunately on about day 4 I had a stone tread "kick" a shin that, while it did no visible damage, days later turned into a major pain - pun intended. The pain descending into ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Two and a Wake-up

The plan for starting the AT Hike has entered its final stage. Scamper & I hosted Coach and Polka Dot at our home for supper last evening. We had planned on there being at least one other attendee, but W2 opted to withdraw his name from the excursion.

During supper we established a tentative plan for Saturday's start:

1) Scamper and I will pick Polka Dot up at her home at 08:00 and drive to the Amicalola Falls Visitor Center, weigh our packs, sign-in, have the obligatory ...

Updated 02-02-2017 at 16:38 by MadRanger

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. 2017 Thru-Hike Registry

Quote Originally Posted by MadRanger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MadRanger View Post
    Trail Name: JAX DAD
    Direction: North
    Start Date: 06 FEB 2017
    Approach Trail: Nope - been there - and over many of the ridges and in sundry creeks in the area.
    https://hikewithjaxdad.wordpress.com/
    Change #1:
    Polka Dot has joined me for the Georgia section.
    Change #2:
    We will leave Amicalola Falls on 04 Feb, vice just me on the 06 Feb. That was her idea; not mine! But there are cogent reasons to add the leg.
    That accelerated departure
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast