WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Dirk's Rambles

Welcome to my blog

1. Tuesday, May 4, 2021, 6:45 pm

I woke up at 5:30 am (May 3rd) to the clopping of ponies' hooves. Very shortly after that I was able to make out in the dark a pony approaching the shelter. I announced to the shelter the ponies were there. Immediately , four people jumped to their feet with their cell phones to take pictures.

Eventually, six ponies showed up in short order. One was a colt not more than a couple of weeks old. Everyone was excited to see them. Selfies and other types of pictures were being taken. One ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Sunday, May 2, 2021, 7:55 pm

Got an early start this morning, hitting the trail at 7:30 am. Was only doing 12.4 miles today, one of my lesser days lately. Did well for the first hour and a half until I hit Whitetop Mountain. The trail was covered with rocks, both loose and protruding. Plus it was about 2,000 feet of "up." I had to go slow.

There were two trail magics today, my first since I've been back on the trail. One was at Whitetop Mountain. A couple who hiked last year had cookies, fruit, water, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. May 1, 2021, 8:05 pm

Left Crazy Larry's Hostel this morning at about 8:25 am. My stay at his hostel was very good. He treated me and the other guests very well. He has a mixed reputation but I found him to be hard working and eager to make people happy. He cooked breakfast for us each of the two mornings that I stayed. morning I wasn't hungry at all and didn't eat lunch until 1 pm.

The hike today was 16 miles. There were a couple of relatively small mountains but nothing serious. We parelelled a bike ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. April 30, 2021, 2:47 pm

I am now in Damascus Branch Library, staying at Crazy Larry's Hostel. Larry has been a good host so far, cooking us a nice breakfast this morning. His prices are higher ($60/night), almost double what I have paid at other hostels. However, a place to sleep in Damascus is hard to find with so many other hikers coming through at the same time. Damascus has a population of about 800 people so there isn't much commerce here except hikers who come through in big number only about a month or two during ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. April 12, 2021, 4:30 pm (continued)

About 7 pm, it began to pour and storm outside. Then it began to lightening. The rain pounded the tin roof we were under. I could see thru the upstairs window how the high winds were blowing the tents outside of those who couldn't get space inside the shelter. Two of my friends, Supertramp and Little Owl, were in one of the tents. Felt so bad for them. I learned the next morning that a river of rain water ran directly to their tent. About 3 inches deep. Fortunate for them, their tent had 4 inch ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast