WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Dirk's Rambles

Welcome to my blog

1. Wednesday, March 17, 2021, 7 pm

We hit the trail again yesterday in the midst of a steady rain. I found out quickly that my packable Goretex jacket and pants are shot. I got soaked to the bone. I feel fortunate that it wasn't any colder than it was. if it would have been another 5 degrees colder, it could have been a hypothermia situation for me.

We crossed into North Carolina yesterday. Our second state! We also climbed Courthouse Bald, a mountain that stands 4,690 feet, maybe the highest we climbed until today. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Monday, March 15, 2021, 8:30 pm

Took a zero (trail slang for a day of rest with no miles on the trail) today in Hiawassee. Washed clothes last night, and dried them today. Went out to dinner at the Sundance Restaurant with Jack, Steph, Jeff and Brad. Excellent meal along with a couple of beers. Tonight went out with Jeff, Brad and Grizzly. Steph was resting in her room.

I think I got my trail name tonight from Grizzly, Jeff and Brad. "Gobbler Whisperer"

Grizzly is guy we met earlier at ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Sunday, March 14, 2021, 3:35 pm

I am sitting at a hostel about 1/2 mile from the trail, called Around the Bend. It is just west of Dick's Creek Gap parking area where the trail is. When we reached the parking area around 1 pm, there was a couple providing trail magic in the form of grilled burgers and hot dogs, along with assorted other goodies and drinks. Such a welcome sight! We ate to our hearts content! So gracious of them and so appreciated by all the thru hikers. Met Jeff and Stephanie, the couple that we had dinner with ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Friday, March 12, 2021, 7 pm

Today we walked our longest hike so far in our trip- 11 miles. We hiked 7 yesterday from Neal's Gap to the top of Wildcat Mountain. We stayed beside the trail last night and got up early to get a jump on the day since we were increasing our mileage.

The hike today was relatively easy except for a very rocky section a short distance from where we are staying tonite, which is a small camp area called Spaniard's Knob.

The panorama of the mountains around us has been spectacular ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Thursday, March 11, 2021, 7:20 pm

Tuesday we experienced another example of trail magic at Woody Gap. I walked into the parking area from the trail and saw a big crowd of people around the back of a pickup. I was preoccupied because I thought I may have lost my wallet (I didn't!) so I went to a picnic table to sort thru my pack. Brad, who was ahead of me, walked over with six slices of pizza. The truck and food was provided by three thru hikers from 2020 who thought they would provide some joy and food for their new brethern/sisters. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast