WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Dirk's Rambles

Welcome to my blog

1. July 30, 2021, Poughkeepsie, NY

We left the trail last night about 5 pm to nero in Poughkeepsie, NY after a cold rain and a good soaking. Called Trail Angel Chris who drove us 45 minutes to Poughkeepsie. Couldn't find a room closer. Hope to dry out.

Left the trail at mile 1451.7. It is on Rt. 22 at the train station that many hikers use to go into NY City. None of us are interesting in the city. We wanted to get a good nights rest. I woke up at 1 am yesterday morning to the sounds of trucks driving around the cement ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. July 26, 2021, Bear Mountain NY

Taking a zero today. Have had several difficult days after passing from NJ into NY. A lot of boulder hoping and slow progress due to the rocks. We were exhausted. We are staying at the Bear Mountain Bridge Hotel. It is a small place with only 5 rooms. We were able to book a one bed room so I am taking the floor. Kilt is joining back up with us but the owners wouldn't let him stay in our room. The owners are Grandma and Grandpa. Grandpa's first name is Allen. Very nice guy! Sarcastic sense of humor, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. July 20, 2021, Vernon, NJ

Saw my third bear yesterday. TwoKnee spotted it. It slowly walked in a semi circle around us before moving on.

Stayed at a great shelter called Secret Shelter or Jim Murray's Shelter. It is on private property owned by Jim Murray. It is fully enclosed, not your typical three sided shelter. Also had electricity and a fan inside. We got our devices all charged fully.

There is a donkey that lives on the property. Nicely tempered and friendly. TwoKnee brushed it and I ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. July 18, 2021 Delaware Water Gap and New Jersey

Today we crossed the Delaware River and walked into New Jersey.

We stayed last night in the Church of the Mountains Hostel. It was extremely hot inside and also extremely crowded. We got a bed luckily. All of the beds ended up being taken and there were many other people sleeping on the couches and on the floor. Had to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and crawled over many bodies in the dark to reach it.

Was so glad to leave PA. Much of the northern part ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. July 16, 2021, Lehigh Gap

Margaret dropped us off early this morning at Lehigh Gap to begin our trek up the mountain. Thanks again Margaret!!

The climb was challenging but not the nightmare I had pictured in my head. Loads of rocks and several climbs where we had to throw our trekking poles up over the rocks so we could use both hands to climb. Took us about an hour to reach the top (less than a mile).

The view was spectacular!

We ended up walking 16.1 miles today. Not bad for ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast