WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Recent Journals Posts

1. Going on a walk

We are starting our long walk tomorrow. It will be a total of 150 miles. This exercise is about mental preparedness. I want to have an understanding of what it is like to spend several consecutive days walking. I am walking to a certain point every day and having my husband pick us up and drop us off. I am not concerned as much about equipment but we will have backpacks with our sleeping bags, water and food. During February we will have two or three shake down camp outs.

-Sully
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Another Cost for Thru Hiking - NH rescue fee

Quote Originally Posted by Datto View Post
    You would not believe the number of unprepared people I saw in The White Mountains on my AT thru-hike who were completely incoherent, ice-covered and unable to speak due to shivering. I was wearing every stitch of clothing I was carrying (gobs of clothing, multiple coats, two pairs of gloves, long-johns, the works) and I still was frozen to the bone -- the tourists I saw were in T-shirts and shorts. They had come through the same raging storm where I had been literally tossed up off my feet and
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. 12/28/2012. Appalachain Trials. Good read!!!

Just completed Jack Davis's book Appalachian Trials, great info on how to mentally prepare for a AT Thru hike. Also some good gear info in the back of the book.

Army Ant
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. First Hike of the Year in Michigan Snow

Dreamer here,

WOW!!! What a great morning hiking with Charlie!! When we left, it was about 29 degrees and had snowed about and 1 ½” during the night. A light snow fell for the two hours we were out at Rose Lake. The wind was blustery out of the North; however, mostly quiet in the woods.

Charlie wore his insulated jacket under his pack for the first time while hiking. He seemed very comfortable and definitely drier than he would have been without ...
  5. One Pretty Frickin Miserable Night!

Dreamer here-

A week or so ago, Team TNT packed up and camped overnight for our first winter shake down trip. Yep, it was “One Pretty Frickin Miserable Night!” The temperature was below freezing and it was wet! Very cold and very wet! However, with the bad news out of the way, here is the good news; our night out was a total success! We were able to test our clothing and equipment under some severe conditions. Not the most severe mind you, but non-the-less, nasty! ...
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast