WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

skylar24

question on shelters

Rate this Entry
What's worked best for most thru hikers?
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I would carry an ultralight hammock with a rain tarp that comes with the standard (non ultralight) hammock. It gives you a bit more rain coverage than the ultralight rain cover. I get a better night's sleep in a tent/hammock than the shelter, especially if there are others in the shelter. Mostly it is due to the snoring! Plus the ground or being suspended in air makes for a softer sleeping surface than the shelter, even with the insulite pad. The shelter is great if it is raining, plus you can get another mile or two under your belt since you don't need to set up your hammock or tent. But you still need to bring some sort of shelter - don't want to show up unprepared to a packed shelter.
    I am preparing to begin my first section hike later this week. I also concur on having a tent or hammock. I prefer a tent because it adds a bit of privacy, better sleeping conditions, and keeps those shelter mice from crawling over you while you sleep!
    ok awesome, thanks for your imput. I did get an UL hammock and tarp. It has been set up and looked over and it seems like it will be a good fit, thanks again.
    The hammock didn't end up working for me in the long run...I ended up with a tent and I have brought it on every hike. It's so nice and relaxing after a long day of hiking to have a little private place of your own to read and write away from people. Also nice to sleep in during rain.