WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

MadisonStar

Fontana Dam...Dang it's Cold!!!

Rate this Entry
I will catch you up all later on the past 3 weeks, but wanted finally to get something documented. Got to Fontana Dam yesterday and today I took a zero. Planning on starting up through the Smokies tomorrow. Kind of nervous because it has been so cold since I started March 1st. Those of us starting on that date have already had 3 snows and the other day rain, hail and thunder and lightening. Staying at the Fontana Lodge - beautiful but hardly any reception to post pics on Facebook. Rooming with Wet Dog and SugarGnome. Caught up with people I hadn't seen in some time - Domino who is hiking with the Ferret. For the past 3 days I on an off ran in to 3 hikers: Timber, Ambassador (Ambo) and LittleEngine. Come to find out that Timber's Grandmother and my parents live right down the street from each other in San Angelo, TX. They started up into the Smokies today. Plan on only hiking up 10 miles to the first shelter. Will keep you posted.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Good to hear from you Madison, wondered about the weather. I knew you had the gear, but I also knew the going would be slow with deep snow. Keep up the good work, and keep going.
    I hear you. I just came out of the smokies today. We are staying at groundhog creek shelter tonight. We had a nice snow fall last night. It will be nice to see hot springs and escape the cold for a bit.
    Great meeting you at the Fontana Lodge....wishing you all the best!

Having driven to Springer last month to drop off my son and his friend, wasn't expecting to pick them up so soon...but know that they'll be returning after they visit with family. It seems that the valuable interactions they shared with others, reminded them ever more how much they wanted to see the elders in the family for Easter.

I'm thankful that both can experience the time they have with others on the trail, and take a little from each with them for the rest of their lives. Truly, the commitment that each and every thru hiker makes is one that means something very special to that individual. I'm happy to have learned about your preparation and tribulations along the trail.

Looking forward to following your blog...as well as treating you to some NJ Trail Magic when you come into my state...and the trails that we maintain.

Take care...stay safe!