WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Recent Journals Posts

1. April 30, 2021, 2:47 pm

I am now in Damascus Branch Library, staying at Crazy Larry's Hostel. Larry has been a good host so far, cooking us a nice breakfast this morning. His prices are higher ($60/night), almost double what I have paid at other hostels. However, a place to sleep in Damascus is hard to find with so many other hikers coming through at the same time. Damascus has a population of about 800 people so there isn't much commerce here except hikers who come through in big number only about a month or two during ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. April 12, 2021, 4:30 pm (continued)

About 7 pm, it began to pour and storm outside. Then it began to lightening. The rain pounded the tin roof we were under. I could see thru the upstairs window how the high winds were blowing the tents outside of those who couldn't get space inside the shelter. Two of my friends, Supertramp and Little Owl, were in one of the tents. Felt so bad for them. I learned the next morning that a river of rain water ran directly to their tent. About 3 inches deep. Fortunate for them, their tent had 4 inch ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. April 12, 2021, 4:30 pm

I am sitting in Mountain Harbor Hostel and B & B after getting here walking the 75.6 miles from April 6-11 including taking a zero on April 8 and a nero (low mileage day) on April 7th. I'm meeting Theresa, my wife, on the 14th so I am chilling here for a few days. This was the easiest location for Theresa to find me. I am going off the trail from now until April 24th to turkey hunt in Kentucky with two of my brothers and several friends.

So after my previous post on April 6 at ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Day 38: Mile 300!

Woke up rested and feeling good. Pushed through the remaining climb and then it leveled out thankfully. We were on a rocky ridge for a couple miles. It was beautiful, but hard going. Not Sure’s heel has been bothering him for awhile, but the rocks did him in. He and 2 Knees decided to get off trail and shuttle to Erwin. I was feeling really good and didn’t want to figure out the logistics to get back, so I decided to push on. Plus I had a feeling Not Sure may have to take several zeros to rest and ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Day 37: Hard, but short day

Only 8.6 miles today, but the second half looks like a hard climb. Got off on a normal start and made good time, but that climb was brutal. Apparently NC doesn’t believe in switch backs. Basically, it’s straight up then you get a little flat as a break then it starts all over again. Thankfully, I made it to the shelter before 2pm, so I spent the afternoon napping and resting in my tent. I needed it. Tomorrow starts with another 2 miles uphill then it levels out thankfully.

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast