WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. 2 man Tarptent

SOLD 10/11/13

[QUOTE=Toothless;1804425]I have a 2 man Tarptent (probably 5 years old) and gently used 3 times hence my reason for selling it. All you need is an adjustable hiking stick for the entrance. All netting is in excellent shape. No tears or rips. First $125 takes it (includes shipping). Weight 2#.

Contact Toothless
    [EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL][/QUOTE]
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Returning to the AT for a N. TN / SW VA Section Hike

I can not wait for the next week to go by.
    On 10/16 I will be bringing 4 "newbies" to the AT. My two sons, a fellow Scout leader, and his son. None of them have hiked on the AT, We have been doing 15-25 mile overnighters for a few months now, and this one is just under 40 miles in 4 days NOBO, ending in Damascus, VA.

The boys are pumped up, and looking forward to some beautiful autumn experiences off-the-grid.

Happy Trails!
    -Flintstone
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Fontana to Newfound Gap, then phhhht

Oh well, made the first 40 miles. Clingman Dome was deserted and foggy so felt very surreal. Saw a bunch of rangers putting up barriers in the parking lots - too bad they have to work without pay. One said he wasn't even allowed to use his vacation pay - just zero income right now. Nice guys, hard workers, wish it was different for them (and us).

This and two other emails listing the shelters we'd reserved north of Newfound Gap were in my inbox:

Backcountry Permit - B118147
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Humpback Rock -Rockfish Gap, low water

by , 09-29-2013 at 22:16 (Proximity to Shenandoah National Park 1-2 DEC 2012)
    FYI, water is dry except occasional puddles to Paul Wolf shelter. Stream there is low but gas moving water. Bear sighted in the camping area thus weekend at night. More water available toward Rockfish Gap trail head.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. No water

I don't know what the rest of the trail is looking like these days, but at Catwaba Mountain shelter (between 311 and McAfee's) both springs are BONE dry. I did not go beyond McAfees; I was just out for a day hike.
    Categories
    Uncategorized