View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. 3/15 Off Trail in Franklin NC

Day 12 was what they call a near zero day. Old Goat and I hiked 4 miles from where we camped last night and got a ride into Franklin, NC, a trail town 10 miles east of the AT. Got 3days of provisions for the next section of my hike and boot inserts from a local outfitter. Get this. I called for a pizza delivery and the owner of the shop got in his car, picked me up and brought me to his restaurant. 4 beers and an 18 inch pizza later with great conservation and lots of laughs he drove me back to ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. 3/14 What a difference a day makes!

Had an awesome day after a less than great start. Bitterly cold night with wind whipping over the mountain. Thank God I have a silk liner for my 30 degree bag or I would have been in trouble! Woke up and my water bottle that I kept in my sleeping bag so it wouldn't freeze, was frozen solid. No hot breakfast or coffee for me today. It was so cold, just had to start hiking. About 2 hrs into the hike caught up with Old Goat. We had a great hike, with great conversation that kept my mind off my ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Will be on the trail again in April...or sooner.

by , 03-14-2013 at 19:02 (Fireweed - An Older Woman Who Hikes Solo and With Friends)
    Having done 1000 miles, I'm looking forward to the next big section. Looks like it will be either Delaware Water Gap southbound to Damascus, or the other way around.

Considering the weather, northbound from Damascus may be the better choice.

Some new gear will be with me. A cuben fiber tarp will replace the MSR E-wing. A Jacksrbetter bridge hammock instead of the Hennessey and an under-quilt instead of a closed cell foam pad. Guess I'm getting kinda uppity in my ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Will be on the trail again in April...or sooner.

by , 03-14-2013 at 19:01 (Fireweed - An Older Woman Who Hikes Solo and With Friends)
    Having done 1000 miles, I'm looking forward to the next big section. Looks like it will be either Delaware Water Gap southbound to Damascus, or the other way around.

Considering the weather, northbound from Damascus may be the better choice.

Some new gear will be with me. A cuben fiber tarp will replace the MSR E-wing. A Jacksrbetter bridge hammock instead of the Hennessey and an under-quilt instead of a closed cell foam pad. Guess I'm getting kinda uppity in my ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. 3/13 Discouraged but not defeated

My feet are very painful at this time with blisters causing difficulty hiking. Did 12.5 miles today with every step a struggle. Muskrat Creek to Carter Gap. Cold and windy all day. Off trail at 4pm and in tent by 5pm. Windy and cold in my bones. Never imagined it would be this cold in NC in March... way colder today than back home in NH! 16 miles till I can get off the trail for a rest in Franklin NC. Hoping for Friday midday. It is going to be a long night but not defeated. total of 93.9 ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized