View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. SunnyWalker and CDT 1

I am preparing to hit the New Mexico/Mexico border to start the CDT this coming May 2013. All systems are go at this point. I will be 60 yrs old and ready to walk. On my days off I work at a local Walmart to buy my equipment and all. Thank you WB for your inspiration and promotion of backpacking. A few years ago I had a broken ankle and was in Barnes and Noble looking for a good book on Bicycle riding (I had had an accident riding across US on recumbent). Well . . . .there were some books on thru ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Getting ready!

I am playing around on White Blaze, trying to pass the time so February will come sooner!

We just finished an 8 day off trail backpack in the Grand Canyon! Now it is winter in Montana, so will be getting ready for our thru hike by climbing a mountain near us three times per week. We will add the packs as the time gets closer!

We have the gear all planned, but need to lay in the stock of footwear and make sure it is all broken in.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Happy Thanksgiving!

Went for about an hour and a half walk today. Thought about my life and how sometimes i wish i could change things in the past but the more i thought about it, i realized that i wouldnt be where i am today. Relationship, career wise, hiking the trail in march....none of it, if i had changed even one thing. All the broken roads led me here, to the place that i am meant to be. Im thankful for my family, my better half, for my health and the fact that i have the desire and opportunity to hike this ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Baby Steps

So I woke up early this morning and looked outside, rained all night again but at least it let up for awhile. Had to get something from our storage place that super close to my house so i decided to walk. Threw on shorts and a hoodie and off i went. On my way back, i passed a little park that has a small walking trail loop. Decided to do a lap before i went home, then another and another. Realized i am sooo out of shape and really need to kick up my game in order to be ready for march. It ...
  5. Pa. section suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by OldFeet View Post
    From PenMar it's 100 miles to PA route 325, 91 miles to PA 225 and 83 miles to Duncannon so this would give you a lot of options in your mielage range. This keeps you south of the worst of the rocks. The section has pretty mellow hiking with a lot of ridge walking. Last year I did Caledonia SP to Swatara Gap the first week in June and was happy with all the shelters along the way. Quarry Gap shelter is probably the nicest shelter I've stayed at anywhere on the trail. There was ample water when
    Categories
    Uncategorized