WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Boy Scouts rescued from unexpected snow on Appalachian Trail - Lynchburg News and Adv

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    Boy they really did get some snow. All I have to say about that is that the forecasters up here completely borked the forecast. We had wintry mix all day long on Sunday instead of rain changing over to mix in the evening with highs in the mid to upper forties. I never saw higher than 34!!! Saturday was also somewhat sideways. That said, I had planned on taking the kids and my wife (all experienced backpackers) out for an overnight prep hike this weekend and took one look at the (wrong) forecast
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Blood Mtn. to Neel Gap

I was real fortunate to be in Ga. on business, (and pleasure) this past week. I took a three hour drive up the mountains to blood mtn. and then hiked over to the shelter at Neel Gap. It was real nice to run into all the NOBOs just starting out. It was pretty soggy and foggy out there but most folk seemed to be in good spirits. I felt like just keep hiking but my adventure doesn't begin for another 350 days.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. LOST & Found Glasses

I found a pair of prescription Glasses by Deer Park Mt. Shelter, I brought them in to Hot Springs, NC and left them with Bluff Mt Outfitters - 828-622-7162 call them if you think they may be yours, .. OWL
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. survival camping in virginia

I'm a Hampton roads local in Virginia and am very interested in doing survival camping however I can't find anywhere to do it. Usually I camp around Shenandoah or Jefferson national forest. But I'd really like to find somewhere that I can set up for a few days and build a primitive survival shelter and practice up on my survival skills. My issue is to find a place where I'm not right off a trail where there are people walking by often. If anyone knows any areas(private survival type camping) please ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Any recommendations for the Grayson Highlands in May?

Quote Originally Posted by Shonryu View Post
    I would personally go from Damascus NOBO to Atkins. Once you get past scales it gets kind of boring. That and there is a resturant in Atkins once you come off of the trail that has a killer hiker burger that is a nice payoff for the trip If you dont plan on staying at Partnership at least take advantage of pizza hut delivering there and grabbing a cold drink at the ranger station I dont remember there really being a place between Damascus and Atkins where you could resupply.
    Categories
    Uncategorized