WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Washington DC -

As a Texas girl dreaming daily of someday thru hiking the AT, I find myself in Washington DC just a couple of hours from an access point to the AT. URG! How I want to skip out on meetings and catch a ride to the AT and just hike a few miles just to ....I don't know get a foretaste that goes a baby step beyond just reading and reading and reading of other's adventures on the AT.

I can not wait until the spring of 2017, my target date. I WANNA B an AT through hiking gal. ...
  2. My training for 2015, Training Day 4

Training Day 4 Friday May 23:
    Today I did 11.75 miles in 4 hours 45 minutes and carried about 15 pounds. The sky was dark and it was a little windy. Rain threatened the whole time but did not develop until about 8:30 and it is still raining at 10:30. I was looking forward to watching the meteor shower tonight but I will have to settle for a rain shower instead. Nothing eventful happened on today’s hike. I did talk to a nice couple in Fox Run Park (El Paso County, Colorado)who thought ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Our Bear Song

Snacktime and I did a couple of short hikes in the Shenandoah National Park last month, and we decided that we needed to be prepared for a bear sighting. We figured that screaming and yelling might not be the best approach since it may not have the desired effect of scaring a bear off but instead might be considered aggressive. So we decided to sing aloud should one of us sight one, thus alerting the other to the presence without any sudden loud sound or action (assuming our slightly off-key

Updated 05-24-2014 at 01:05 by Teacher & Snacktime

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. My training for 2015, so far.

Appalachian Trail Diary:
    Why?
    Why do I want to hike the AT? Well first of all, I know it is there. I decided to do the AT because I lived by part of the trail in NJ and always was intrigued by the mystique. My motivation now is since I started walking a year ago to lose weight. I was at 240 and now around 200. Still want to lose about 15 more. I have walked around 2,800,000 steps so far. Admittedly I have not been completely dedicated to daily walking. I also want to do it in memory ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Type 1 Diabetes and "CURES"

by , 05-19-2014 at 04:48 (My wife and I are planning to thru hike the AT in 2017)
    I keep getting messages on reversing my diabetes.

PLEASE STOP IT!

I am a type 1 diabetic. This means my pancreas make zero, none, zilch, nada insulin. There is NO PILL that can fix MY diabetes.

If you are a type 2 diabetic please change your lifestyle, lose the weight, exercise more, eat the good food, stop eating the bad and you can reverse your diabetes. Diabetes is ONE disease with TWO CAUSES.

It is beyond the scope of this blog to discuss ...