WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

ulou

1. Second Training hike done

So yesterday was my second training hike and my first with my new pack. I loaded about 80 percent of my gear in the pack that took it to just at 20 lbs and set out for the trails in Gloucester. I put in just short of 7 miles in 2 hours with a short stop for a snack and to take a bunch of pictures. Felt great, no issues with the new pack once I got it adjusted. Feeling really positive right now and cant wait for April.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. The first Test

Yesterday was a good day. I loaded my Ruck with 21 lbs or so of gear and hit the Dogtown trails. I started around 1130, I finished 2 complete loops around 3 pm. In all I racked up 8.2 miles according to the GPS. Obviously I was moving pretty quick. The terrain varied from flat trails to boulder fields. Several small creeks and bogs. It was a really good test. I feel pretty confident in my ability to easily put 10 miles a day behind me in April. There is no way I would be moving that fast again. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Tommorrow is the first test

So tomorrow I'm doing my first test. I'm planning to do 10 miles through Dogtown Common trails in Gloucester Ma. The terrain is variable and should prove challenging. I purchased a new Gregory pack that will not be in until next week so I'm going to use my old army ruck sack and carry 15 lbs or so for the day. I feel confident, not really worried about the mileage, I'm on my feet moving all day anyway. I really am looking at how long it will take. The weather should be beautiful so I'm looking forward ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Want to replace my GPS

I have an Ancient GPS. Basically it just gives you your position and allows limited way points. I am thinking about upgrading to a Garmin eTrex20. Going to do some research today but it seems like a good fit.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Continued training wtih a twist

Well, Still continuing the journey of preparing for my first section hike in 27 years. Several months ago I began indoor rock climbing. It is very challenging but I find it totally rewarding. I booked an Ice Climbing day adventure in the White Mountains as went on it this past weekend. It was one of the most thrilling things I have ever done. It was uniquely hard, balance, strength and attention to detail were all necessary. I climbed for 6 hours with a group of 9 others of which I was easily the ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast