WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Recent Journals Posts

1. Thursday, July 1, 2021, 4 pm

So alot of eventful things have happened in the past two weeks:
    - I finished Virginia, the longest state on the AT. It was over 542 miles long. Seemed like it took forever, lengthened by my shin splint injury. I took a total of 13 zeros while in Virginia because of it, along with numerous neros (short mileage days.
    - I completed two additional states- West Virginia (4 miles in length) and Maryland (41 miles in length)
    - Spent a zero in Harpers Ferry, where I met Theresa for ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Wednesday, June 16, 2021, 8:15 pm

I am writing this post at Bearfence Hut at mile 919 in Shenandoah National Park. This is my first day back on the trail since taking 8 zeros due to my shin splint injury. I had left the trail on June 7th. My brother Alex, who is a nurse practitioner, had told me the only real way to heal shin splints is to rest them. I finally heeded his advice!

While off the trail I visited a physical therapist- Janell Smith-Emery. She has an office near Stahlstown, south of Ligonier. I know Janell ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Monday, June 7, 2021, 9 pm

Yesterday, June 6, I hiked 14 miles with my shins sore almost the entire time. When I woke up this morning, they were still sore, one of the few times they hurt the next day before walking on them. So I decided to get off the trail. This injury has been nagging me for several weeks so I needed to bite the bullet and give them meaningful rest. I broke the news to Tejas and Zey, who totally understood. I am so sorry to have to leave them, as they have been wonderful hiking partners. This injury has ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Saturday, June 5, 2021, 9:48 pm

Yesterday (June 4) we got a ride from Dr. Who at Stanimals up to the trail. I hiked 7.7 to Calf Mountain Shelter and decided to stay there for the night. The problem with going further is that I would have to walk another 13 miles to find an allowable place to camp. Since the rules are more rigid a National Park, I can only stay certain places. Allowable tent sites are not listed in Guthooks or my Appalachian Long Distance Hiker Association (ALDHA) guidebook, so to move forward beyond Calf Shelter, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized