WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 5:10 pm

I am currently staying at Woodshole Hostel, at mile 625.4. We are 1/2 days walk from Pearisburg VA, which we hope to reach tomorrow. We will go into Pearisburg to resupply then get back on the trail without taking a zero. We walked 7.2 miles to get here, a shortened day for us (Calves and me). In the last six days we have covered 91.4 miles. With tomorrow's 10.4 miles into Pearisburg that will put us at 101.8 for the last week with no zeros. Not bad! We did do a couple of reduced days paired with ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Tuesday, May 4, 2021, 6:45 pm

I woke up at 5:30 am (May 3rd) to the clopping of ponies' hooves. Very shortly after that I was able to make out in the dark a pony approaching the shelter. I announced to the shelter the ponies were there. Immediately , four people jumped to their feet with their cell phones to take pictures.

Eventually, six ponies showed up in short order. One was a colt not more than a couple of weeks old. Everyone was excited to see them. Selfies and other types of pictures were being taken. One ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Sunday, May 2, 2021, 7:55 pm

Got an early start this morning, hitting the trail at 7:30 am. Was only doing 12.4 miles today, one of my lesser days lately. Did well for the first hour and a half until I hit Whitetop Mountain. The trail was covered with rocks, both loose and protruding. Plus it was about 2,000 feet of "up." I had to go slow.

There were two trail magics today, my first since I've been back on the trail. One was at Whitetop Mountain. A couple who hiked last year had cookies, fruit, water, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. May 1, 2021, 8:05 pm

Left Crazy Larry's Hostel this morning at about 8:25 am. My stay at his hostel was very good. He treated me and the other guests very well. He has a mixed reputation but I found him to be hard working and eager to make people happy. He cooked breakfast for us each of the two mornings that I stayed. morning I wasn't hungry at all and didn't eat lunch until 1 pm.

The hike today was 16 miles. There were a couple of relatively small mountains but nothing serious. We parelelled a bike ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Day 69: Zero Day at Angels Rest

Taking a zero today at Angels Rest in Pearisburg. Tried to get my second COVID shot, but they wouldn’t let me get it one day early and they are closed tomorrow for Memorial Day. So I’ll have to coordinate that in Daleville. Watched Jurassic Park and chilled around the hostel all day.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 11 of 596 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 61 111 511 ... LastLast