WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. “I'd like to have two armies…” and two blog-sites

When I was a student at the Un-College in the early 70s, I took an elective course called Revolutionary Warfare. The intriguing book “The Centurions” by Jean Lartéguy was required course reading. It contains the oft quoted passage, “I'd like to have two armies”.

Likewise, I’d like to have two blog-sites: one to contain pithy posts of other bloggers and anecdotes like my “Plans are useless, but planning is indispensable” that are not specifically part of my hike. The other would be ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. "Plans are useless, but planning is indispensable”

I mentioned over breakfast last Friday that there was an outside chance that I might not be able to attend a planned family gathering in July, 2017. Because, I added, in February 2017 I intended to hike in the woods for a couple of months - and that I had been planning the trip since March, 2016. (That pre-dated the scheduling of the family event by at least four months.) I told them that I had created a blog to let interested folks follow my adventure. I backed up in the narrative to note that ...

Updated 11-29-2016 at 08:59 by MadRanger

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Entry on 2017 Thru-Hike Registry

Quoted for reference to his departure date in early February 2017. Might meet him along the way. Found on 2017 Thru-Hike Registry.

Quote Originally Posted by Doors1Fan View Post
    No trail name yet - my nickname is Lizard

North to South Approach trail yes. Start as early as Feb. weather depending...

I just found out I am getting laid off from the TELCO after 20 years. Always said I would hike the AT if I ever got fired or laid off LOL

Updated 11-27-2016 at 10:21 by MadRanger

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. 12 Miles in 11 Hours

I came across an interesting 2009 blog with a remarkable entry on Day 18: 12 Miles in 11 Hours. It sure read like a tough going! As an aside, the look & feel of the blog was notable. Brad's son, Glen, designed the site.

"We hiked hard today from 6:30am until 6:00pm, taking only 20 minutes for lunch. For all this effort we did 12.8 miles, starting at Bemis Mountain Lean-to, trail mile 137.7, and ending as the only occupants of Hall Mountain Lean-to, trail mile 250.5. We're ...

Updated 12-01-2016 at 14:32 by MadRanger

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. WordPress Blog vs. WhiteBlaze

I activated this journal on 14 March 2016 and have posted but one blog since - a re-post of another so it would be handy. In the meantime I developed a plan to depart Springer in Feb 2017, and am confident it is workable - after all, I had adhered to my project management methodology. Triple constraints, etc., etc. And thanks to scores of folks with great ideas and to the Conservancy for its contributions. I am set.

Well, I thought I was set until Dave, a friend that Scamper ...

Updated 11-22-2016 at 13:53 by MadRanger

Tags: 1'", 1ˤˢ Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 51 of 596 FirstFirst ... 41 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 61 101 151 551 ... LastLast