WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Recent Journals Posts

1. Saturday's Long Hike and blood sugar repercussions

by , 04-20-2014 at 19:19 (My wife and I are planning to thru hike the AT in 2017)

We are planning a guided hike in Paynes Prarie today with a focus on Medicinal and Edible plants in the Wild.

If the rain causes a cancellation of the walk then we will hike the Hawthorne-Gainesville Trail for a little bit, eat some lunch and then come home.

We missed the Plant hike in Paynes Prarie on Saturday. It was raining just as we were leaving so we went back inside and changed to more appropriate rain/wet gear so that ...
  2. This isn't Cross Training, it's Cross Learning!

by , 04-05-2014 at 05:44 (My wife and I are planning to thru hike the AT in 2017)
    I’m excited to be getting my first backpack at the end of April and really get started on this AT adventure finally. With the backpack I will begin to feel like a hiker.

As far as sports and money go this isn’t really bad. The big items are a backpack, tent, and sleeping bag. You can get crazy expensive with the other stuff but you don’t have to in order to have a good time.

Versus $1100 to $4000 for a triathlon bike, $90 to $120 for triathlon kits. $130 for ...
  3. Trail Hiking and Blood Sugar readings.

by , 03-23-2014 at 14:20 (My wife and I are planning to thru hike the AT in 2017)
    We hiked the San Felasco 5.8 mile loop yesterday. My blood sugars we very low the whole time. I kept yawning and felt low energy while on the trail so I knew something was up.

At the start I was 67. Ate a Cliff Bar. At the halfway point I was 75. Ate half a bagel. And at the end I was 56.

This morning I was at 210 and was 271 2.5 hours later.

Trail hiking affects my blood sugar levels way differently than my running does. It took me nine months to get my blood ...