WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

GoldenBear

1. My vegvisir didn't seem to help!

For those asking the obvious question, “What the heck is a vegvisir?”, here’s your answer:
    https://mythologian.net/vegvisir-sym...runic-compass/
    Note the words in the article: “it is written that this symbol would help its wearer to not get lost.”

Although I’ve been fascinated by Viking explorers for almost sixty years, I had never heard of this talisman until our visit to Iceland earlier this summer. When I found I could get ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Filling in a REALLY small gap, and checking out the area

This last week I could have gone to western North Carolina for some more hiking, but chose not to -- and I think I made the right choice:
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/19/weath...day/index.html

Since the other area where I lack miles is the White Mountains, I could have gone there for a week -- but I am VERY far from being able to handle several days of hiking there. So I instead decided to (1) fill in a silly gap I still have in the area and (2) ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Filling in some gaps, with some advice from the Beatles

Okay, what with the Beatles reference?
    Recall that, the last time I hiked in this area, I went to the hills despite a warning about "scattered thunderstorms" -- and had some of the scariest minutes of my life.
    This time I went to do some hikes in the area, and, while watching the local weather forecast after a two day drive to the area, got another warning of "scattered thunderstorms."
    My response is best summed up in this song:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi8d...utu.be&t=1m44s ...

Updated 08-08-2021 at 16:54 by GoldenBear

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Hold the presses! We need a re-write on this blog!

On the last day of my four-day section hike, with less than seven more miles to go on my 28 mile journey, I “knew” what I was going to write in my blog about this trek. It was going to be (pretty much) a repeat of one the themes I’ve used over the years: that the hike was quite uneventful, but that fact was due to having the same qualities of an expert pilot. Specifically, just as good aviators make their plans based on the weather, equipment, and skills actually present & available, they almost ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. It's been a while, hasn't it?

My records show that I have not done back-packing on the A.T. since July of 2019. That's a long time! Last year I did get in some day hikes on The Trail, but the total distance was a mere 18.6 miles. This last week I got just under 13 miles in about 48 hours of finding out my trail legs have lost quite a bit of zip.

My planning continues to be (1) driving to that point on the A.T. that I have not yet hiked, (2) parking to this Point A, (3) getting a shuttle from Point A to Point B, ...
    Tags: 6ary9jgg Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast