WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Last Mile

I rejoined the trail on 01 June following yet an other injury - big toe tendinitis that led to new boots that led to PF that led to new boots that created arch issues that led to new boots: Lowa made in Germany and purchased at REI in Atlanta. Mixed in that calendar sequence was my father's funeral and minor surgery. All totaled a whopping 81-days off trail.
    i resumed the hike at Uncle Johnny's hostel and carried on for a total of 126 hiking days. All was chronicled at https://hikewithjaxdad.wordpress.com/. ...

Updated 12-15-2018 at 12:20 by MadRanger

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Hightop Mountain, Hut, and Springs - Appalachian Trail - Shenandoah National Park

This was a great hike in the Shenandoah National Park, from South River Picnic Area to Hightop Hut. It is approximately 13 miles round trip and has a couple persistent uphill sections of climb.
    As usual, I’ve posting some videos showing the trail, the shelter, legal campsites along this section of trail, and more importantly (to me) the springs. 😊
    The Hightop Hut is a fairly standard 3 sided structure with an internal mezzanine ...
    Tags: hightop hut Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Bearfence Hut, Spring, Scramble, and Alpha Gal

This was a great hike in the Shenandoah National Park, from Big Meadows Campground to Bearfence Hut. It is approximately 15 miles round trip and has very little elevation gain / loss. I’d list this as being moderate if you include the “scramble”. More information on the scramble part of the hike can be found here: https://www.nps.gov/shen/bearfence.htm As usual, I’ve posting some videos showing the trail, the shelter, legal campsites along this ...

Updated 09-19-2017 at 05:01 by Kaptainkriz

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Hike the "MST In A Day" - Sept 9, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Curious G View Post
    I'd like to sign up for any section which can be bicycled because they're actually bike paths. It doesn't matter which flat paved incredibly long section without water or services of any kind it is, though I'd prefer the ones away from high density population centers or cities if there are any. Are there any? I guess Asheville would be alright as it is at least close to the mountains near a real trail and the homeless folks are pretty cool unlike the hungrier ones near Winston Salem Durham Raleigh
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Soaring to heights of mediocrity!

As my previous two blogs have noted, 2017 has been a year during which I've done much better than average (well, at least FOR ME) in terms of daily mileage. Either my use of trail runners, OR my walking up & down stairs during the winter, has allowed me to very noticeably increase the number of miles I can walk in a day. Having concluded that I am no longer restricted to ten miles a day, I decided to plan for a fifteen-mile hike. As always, you can scoff at this low-ball plan, but this was daring ...
Page 46 of 596 FirstFirst ... 36 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 56 96 146 546 ... LastLast