View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Books by dudes my age who hiked the AT

Thanks for that one, Bill! It'll be something to refer to in those moments when the Real Hikers make me feel like a fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
    I resonate with your conundrum. Just Bill has made some very good points. I'm wondering if this might be an opportunity for a new white blaze forum. Seems there are a lot of us middle-age guys that want both financial freedom and the ability to take extended backpacking trips. I am not a through hiker yet. But there seems to be want to be through hikers that have
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Trail of Tears

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bluebird View Post
    Just saw a banner running on the local news that the US Forest Service is apologizing for ripping up parts of the Trail of Tears on the AT. I have searched White blaze but can not find any discussions regarding this. Can anyone shed some light on this news or direct me to the Forum?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. New Hampshire is History, baby!

September 11-Sunday. It had rained quite a bit overnight so I hoped it was done. Packed up by 7 and met the shuttle from hikers welcome hostel. They took my pack back to glencliff and I headed south slack packing over Mousalauke. About 30 minutes up the mountain it started to rain, then to Pour, then lightening and thunder. I was soaked through and half blinded as my glasses fogged over and I didn't want to try to dry them until it stopped. I got 1.3 miles to the shelter and stopped in to wait an ...

Updated 09-16-2016 at 05:14 by ElizabethClose

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Sunny Presidentials and Foggy Franconia

Sept 4-Sunday. Got up and cooked breakfast in the dark. My belly was so full I decided to let it settle before starting so I laid in my hammock and read for an hour. At 6 I broke camp and realized the pole I left by the trail to signal ginger tiger had disappeared. Rats! I tried to hike with one pole for a while but it threw me off balance so I picked up a stick and hiked with that all day. I passed Nathan and got a pic. I passed Tau but I could tell he didn't remember me. I got to osgood campsite ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. What one thing would you change about your AT thru hike beginning? Planning NOBO mile

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    I will start slower next time. There can be a feeling of wanting to go hard at the start. More thru hikers than not will echo the same sentiment. The next time I thru hike, I will script my first 12 days to Franklin, NC like this:

Day 1: Springer to Hawk Mtn Shelter
    Day 2: Hawk Mtn to Gooch Mtn Shelter
    Day3: Gooch Mtn to Lance Creek Campground
    Day 4: Lance Creek to Neel Gap (resupply- camp at Bull Gap 1 mile past)
    Day 5: Bull Gap to Low Gap Shelter
    Day
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 29 of 566 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 79 129 529 ... LastLast